MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Breaking His Rules

Breaking His Rules - Alison Packard When I read the blurb on this something about it drew me in. Maybe it was the fact that we are starting off with a woman who is working on changing herself physically and isn't the perfect size 3. Or maybe it is the fact that she is taking charge of her life and sitting on the sidelines. Or maybe I just like the friends to lovers troupe. I don't know, but I am glad that I read it.

Melissa is one of a set of fraternal twins. Her and her sister live together and although they share the same birthday, they couldn't be more dissimilar. Melissa has always been heavier, is more reserved and loves to putter outside with her gardens and DIY projects. Her sister is slim, outgoing and going to the police academy. But one thing is certain, they totally have each other's backs. While at their cousin's wedding shower, Melissa overhears the cruel comments that are said about her and her lack of date. Her twin is ready to create a huge scene, but Melissa decides that she will just higher an escort instead and get her revenge by "living well" as it were.

Jake is the owner of a gym and the personal trainer who has been working with Melissa. He has helped her not only with training, but insists that she not go on a diet, just learn to eat more nutritiously and actually listen to her bodies needs. When he lets Melissa know that he has nominated her for a local health magazine's change issue, Melissa lets slip about hiring an escort. Jake insists that she let him go with her instead. He will play the part of doting boyfriend. It makes more sense, since they already know each other.

I very much liked that the two characters were friends first and had a mutual, but unacted upon interest in each other. Also, Melissa was really the character that had the most growth in this book. Surprisingly, it was Jake. Though Melissa did show hidden depths during some critical moments in the book.

I'm not one for picking up a book in the middle of a series. Most of the time it just doesn't work for me. But this book was incredibly different. If it hadn't been for the fact that I went and looked to see what and who each of the books previously was about, I would never have realized it was part of a series. These stories seem to form a link to just the couple in the prior book, more like a chain than a web of characters interacting. It felt very old school romance novel that way. The story's couple is linked via Jake's brother and it feels as though the next book will be about Melissa's sister. I really enjoyed the book, it felt real and relevant and though it worked well as a stand alone, I will be looking for the next one. I gave this book 3 stars.