MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Lay It Down

Lay It Down - Cara Mckenna I saw this book reviewed by both Liz at Fictional Candy and Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup. They both gave the book rave reviews, but my TBR pile is huge, not just big, but HUGE, so I thought it would be forever before I got a chance to read it. Then I had the good luck to see that Audiobook Jukebox had this available for review. Score! Right now my Audiobook TBR pile is still very manageable, so I requested a copy and added it to my queue.

One of the first things I noticed about this was the narrator. His style was very hard bitten and precise, clipped almost. The voice went with a Noir P.I. or Detective, not so much a blue collar working man, into bikes, babes and booze. And don't even get me started on how badly the females sounded in one of the worst falsetto's I have ever heard. Thankfully this book was mostly told from the male protagonist's perspective.

The story itself was amazing. I don't think I have ever read a romance done the majority through the male's POV. But this wasn't just a romance, there was also a mystery to solve, so there were plenty of suspenseful moments. There were several red herrings sprinkled throughout, and just about the time I 'knew' I had figured out where the book was headed, I would be proved wrong. I know you see the motorcycle on the cover and with a series called Desert Dogs, you are probably thinking Motorcycle Club (MC). You would be wrong. This is a series about some guys (and a girl) who grew up together, who just happen to ride motorcycles and who have made themselves family. The protagonist of this story, Vince, is the nominal leader and a bit of a hell-raiser, but at his heart, he is a good guy. He is that bad boy who never really outgrew his bad boy ways. Getting to the heart of him, right along side Kim, was one hell of a ride, and I can't wait to saddle up for the next book. If it weren't for this book just having the wrong (for me) narrator, it would have had a perfect score. So, overall 4 stars and still well worth listening to.