MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Review: Otherworld Nights by Kelley Armstrong

Otherworld Nights

Otherworld Stories, #3
Kelley Armstrong

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Penguin Group
Date of Publication: October 28, 2014
Number of pages: 369

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     OmniLit     eBooks

This short story collection will include many brand-new tales and others only previously available on Kelley Armstrong's website. Most of the stories will feature the werewolves of the Otherworld, Elena and Clay, Jeremy, Karl and other members of the American Pack. These are some of Kelley Armstrong's best-loved and most enduring characters, from bestselling books such as Bitten, Stolen and Frostbitten.

1) Demonology - Adam's mother discovers what he is
2) Stalked - Clay/Elena honeymoon story from "My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon"
3) Hidden - SubPress 2012 Elena/Clay novella
4) Twilight - a Cass story from "Many Bloody Returns"
5) Chivalrous - Reese's backstory from SubPress's long sold-out "Tales of Dark Fantasy 2" (the Dec'14 SubPress graphic novella picks up this storyline)
6) Lucifer's Daughter - Hope/Karl story from "Blood Lite II: Overbite"
7) From Russia with Love - Elena bonus story included with hardcover of "Thirteen"
8) Vanishing Act - brand-new Savannah/Adam novella set after "Thirteen"

Almost 10 years ago, my sister and I were enjoying the burgeoning Paranormal Romance field. We were constantly on the look out for the next vampire or werewolf story and happily sharing any finds with each other.  One day, she brought home two books by Kelley Armstrong: Bitten and Stolen. We devoured them and I went out and bought Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic, the next two books in the Women of the Otherworld series.  The witches didn't do it for her like they did for me, but we both agreed that Kelley Armstrong was one of our new favorite authors.

Since then, there have been 13 full length novels in the Women of the Otherworld series and dozens of novellas and short stories. Many of the novellas were included in Anthologies over the years, and as a fan, I have read most of them. At one point in time, most of the short stories were available for free on her website.  Unfortunately, they had to be removed when the Collections started being released.  I was stalkery, lucky enough to have read most of them before they were taken down. Reading these Collections with the mix of old and new, short stories and novellas, ignites my love of the Otherworld all over again. Especially when I re-read an story and realize who some of the secondary and minor characters turned out to be in later novels. This collection is no different.

If you are a fan of the series, this is a must read.  If you haven't read the series before and want to get a good feel for the Otherworld universe, this is a great way to get your feet wet and try it out.  I enjoyed re-acquainting myself and gave this 3 stars.

Source: http://judy-ree.blogspot.com/2014/11/review-otherworld-nights-by-kelley.html