MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Burnin' Up Memphis

Burnin' Up Memphis - Delilah Devlin Delilah Devlin is one of those authors, that when you pick up one of her books, you know that you are going to get some very well written, very steamy, very smexy scenes. Especially when she writes about men in (and out of) uniform. Earlier this year I read both the anthologies that she edited: Smokin' Hot Firemen and High Octane Heroes and really enjoyed them.

I know that Ms Devlin has several on going series, and we all know how hard it is to start in the middle of one or play catch up. So I was excited to be able to start a new series, especially since it features firemen. I was a bit surprised when I read the dedication in the book: "To the fans who hated seeing the end of the Delta Heat series...I was only kidding!" I had requested this specifically as it was the first book in a new series. But never fear, though it is obviously a spin off, I didn't really feel left out from not reading the other series.

The novella opens on John Cooper, fireman at Firehouse 69 coming in at end of shift from a fire. He had recently lost his best friend and fellow firefighter in a blaze and is about to find out that his long time girlfriend has moved out and cleaned out his apartment. Basically, Cooper is right at that point that decisions and changes have to happen. He decides to take up his buddy Billy's offer, to show some of their fellow firefighters around Club La Forge, the BDSM club that Billy is involved with. And although things happen fast, this is a novella, it feels organic within the story and mostly believable. What we end up with is the solid start of a relationship, not a happily ever after. But that's okay, because this is the first in the series. I enjoyed it enough that I will probably, eventually, go find the Delta Heat series and read them as well. I gave this novella 3 stars.