MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

The Defiant Hero

The Defiant Hero - Suzanne Brockmann, Patrick Girard Lawlor, Melanie Ewbank I had requested book 1, The Unsung Hero, at the same time as this book from Audiobook Jukebox. I believe that I received ARCs of the stories, simply from some of the minor sound issues that I experienced during the listen. Though my biggest problem was with one of the names of the characters being pronounced differently throughout. There is a character discussed who's name we hear as Rafe, but apparently was spelled as Ralph. The difference being English versus American pronunciation, and this is mentioned in the story. Unfortunately, the narrator kept flip flopping back and forth between the pronunciations. I am hoping that this small but irritating error was fixed before final production.

I had some problems with the style of the narration of the first book, so I had been a bit leery about starting this one. I don't know if I had gotten used to the 2 speaker narration or the transitions from Melanie to Patrick were smoother, but I didn't have as many problems with this one. Each one had a much more defined "time" when they would be speaking and it kept it easier to keep track of what was going on.

As with the first story, there are multiple story lines going on throughout. We had the Meg/John romance, the Eve/Rafe flashback WWII romance, and the Allysa/Sam romance. All of these are being spun around the kidnapping of Meg's daughter and grandmother by terrorists.

I have read a lot of books that called Meg TSTL (Too Stupid Too Live). I didn't think that. Did I get frustrated with her? Yes. But mainly because I wanted to see the Seal Team storm the terrorists hideout and be all action hero-y. But Meg had major trust issues. And how can you trust someone you don't think you know to save your loved ones, when you know you can. She refused to be patted on the head and taken care of. Was it risky and probably stupid? Yes. But she was desperate. And desperate people can be the most dangerous of all. As a matter of fact, all the women in this book showed that true strength doesn't lie in how much you can bench press. It has to do with your heart and the determination to do whatever needs doing when you love someone.

I liked this book much better than the first one and look forward to the continuation of Allysa and Sam's storyline. This was worth 3 stars.