MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Great Escapes Review: A Ghostly Undertaking by Tonya Kappes

A Ghostly Undertaking

Ghostly Southern Mysteries, #1
Tonya Kappes

Genre: Paranormal Mystery
Publisher: Witness
Date of Publication: February 24, 2015
Number of pages: 309

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     OmniLit
A funeral, a ghost, a murder... It's all in a day's work for Emma Lee Raines...

Bopped on the head from a falling plastic Santa, local undertaker Emma Lee Raines is told she's suffering from “funeral trauma.” It's trauma all right, because the not-so-dearly departed keep talking to her. Take Ruthie Sue Payne—innkeeper, gossip queen, and arch-nemesis of Emma Lee's granny—she's adamant that she didn't just fall down those stairs. She was pushed.

Ruthie has no idea who wanted her pushing up daisies. All she knows is that she can't cross over until the matter is laid to eternal rest. In the land of the living, Emma Lee's high-school crush, Sheriff Jack Henry Ross, isn't ready to rule out foul play. Granny Raines, the widow of Ruthie's ex-husband and co-owner of the Sleepy Hollow Inn, is the prime suspect. Now Emma Lee is stuck playing detective or risk being haunted forever.

Review:

I have been a fan of Tonya Kappes and her Magical Cure Mystery series so I knew right away that I wanted to read this new series. Being a Southern girl myself, I always appreciate a good southern tale done right. This series combines the best of southern-isms, good cozy mysteries with a bit of paranormal thrown in to keep things interesting.

Emma Lee and her sister Charlotte Rae took over the family funeral home business when their parents retired to Florida. Charlotte Rae handles the people side of things while Emma Lee is all about the behind the scenes details. Everything seems to be going well, when Emma gets bonked on the head by a falling Santa and starts talking to a ghost. The doctor labels it "funeral trauma" due to being around so many dead bodies. She hoped it was just a minor hallucination, until Ruthie Sue Payne is killed. Now Ruthie demands that Emma Lee find out who killed her and won't take no for an answer.

The book is full of distinctive characters and all the charm of small southern town. Emma Lee has to figure out how to not only keep her ghost seeing a secret, but keep her "funeral trauma" from ruining the family business. There are no shortage of suspects and the clues even lead to Emma Lee's own Granny.  With the help of Sheriff Jack Henry, who believes in her ability, she helps to figure out what happens before someone else ends up dead.

This was an entertaining read from start to finish. Between Granny and Ruthie's antics, they had me laughing out loud. I gave this 4 stars and can't wait to get started on book 2, A Ghostly Grave due out at the end of the month.

Thanks to Edelweiss and Witness publishing for the opportunity to read and review the book.

Giveaway:

5 Copies of A Ghostly Undertaking

Author Bio:

Tonya Kappes is a USA Today Bestselling Author.

I write fun humorous fiction, some with romance and some with a little mystery.

More than anything I love to connect with readers! I’m a huge fan of them and LOVE getting to know them. Making readers smile, and remembering not to take life too seriously is how I like to write. I’m addicted to coffee, McDonald’s Diet Coke, and Red Hots Candy to keep her going!

When I’m not writing about quirky characters and even quirkier situations, I’m busy being the princess, queen and jester of my domain which includes my BFF husband, three teenage boys, two dogs and one ornery cat.

To connect with the author online:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | tsū | Instagram | Goodreads

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/03/great-escapes-review-ghostly.html