MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Audio Review: Rocket Man by Melanie Greene

Narrator: Amy Rubinate
Date of Publication: January 30, 2015
Abridged or Unabridged: Unabridged
Length of Production: 12 hrs and 31 mins

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     Audible
Serena Colby wants one thing. Dillon Hamilton wants everything.

Steady, focused graphic artist Serena has her life perfectly planned out. After a childhood being moved from one place to another, she craves the permanence of a home that's hers and hers alone. And everything is lining up just right. That is, until disruptive copywriter Dillon comes blasting into her workplace and spins her personal life out of control.

Serena tries to draw boundaries, but the gorgeous Dillon has a much sexier script for their lives in mind. He's pulled towards Serena's orbit, quickly ranking her sexiest skirts and memorizing the scent of her locally sourced organic shampoo. Serena struggles to remain unmoved by Dillon's kinetic charm, even as she relishes their chats about their mutual passion, the Houston Rockets.

Though order-loving Serena shies away from Dillon's messy complications, she can't escape her fantasies. When Dillon's determined pursuit leaves Serena breathless, it might just be 'all systems are go' for Rocket Man.

This was a new to me author and narrator. I was introduced to the author when she sent me an inquiry about reviewing her new audiobook. From the brief blurb she sent me, I was intrigued.  So I went to audible and listened to a sample. I was intrigued enough to say yes.

Serena lives a very creative but orderly existence. Although she likes colors and fabrics and playing with design layouts, she also is very punctual and rarely deviates from her regimented schedule. She as very definite opinions on what she wants from life and has mapped out how and when she will achieve her goals. Most of this can be attributed to the craziness of her childhood, what with 7 step-parents and bouncing from house to house dependent on the whims of her parents. Her parents have each created new lives for themselves and Serena feels that she is on the outskirts of each others lives.

Dillon, has recently moved to the Houston area from California. He followed his sister and brother-in-law, and even bought their town-home when they moved to a bigger place to accommodate their desire for a family. Dillon is a bit of a nerd, with plenty of scifi posters and books throughout his home. After his parents died in a car accident when he was a teenager, his soon to be brother-in-law became a strong influence on him. He continues to be very close to them and with a nephew on the way, remains close with his family.

These characters had some very nice contrasts and individual idiosyncrasies that made them very real. Though they had some instant attraction, this was a long term romance. From Dillon's fumbling first date request and shoot down, through their friendship then romance, the near misses and mistakes on both their parts, we get to see them grow. Not only as a couple, but as individuals.

The narrator, Amy Rubinate, did a good job with the voices and emotional undercurrents in the book. Sometimes secondary characters voices can begin to bleed together, but each was made distinct enough to easily identify. Each one having a different pitch, speed or accent.

When I found out the two characters were both fans of the Houston Rockets basketball team, I figured that was the basis of the title of the book. Super duper wrong. It's not until the dice started being rolled, that I got it. Tricky, tricky author! Overall, this was a very enjoyable read and will be adding book two, Ready to Roll, to by TBR pile. I gave this book 4 stars.

Thanks to the author for the opportunity to listen and review this book.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/04/audio-review-rocket-man-by-melanie.html