MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Quote-Tastic: The Tale of Accidental Kisses

Attraction

Elements of Chemistry
Penny Reid

Genre: New Adult Romance
Publisher: Caped Publishing
Date of Publication: April 6, 2015
Number of pages: 169

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN    Kobo     Smashwords

Just 99¢ at most major retailers
One week.
Private beach.
Invisible girl.
Jerk-faced bully.
What’s the worst that could happen?

Kaitlyn Parker has no problem being the invisible girl, which is why she finds herself hiding in various cabinets and closets all over her college campus. Despite her best efforts, she can’t escape the notice of Martin Sandeke—bad boy, jerkface bully, and the universe’s hottest, wealthiest, and most unobtainable bachelor—who also happens to be Kaitlyn’s chemistry lab partner.

Kaitlyn might be the only girl who isn’t interested in exploiting his stunning rower’s build, chiseled features, and family's billionaire fortune. Kaitlyn wants Martin for his brain, specifically to tabulate findings of trace elements in surface water.

When Kaitlyn saves Martin from a nefarious plot, Martin uses the opportunity to push Kaitlyn out of her comfort zone: spring break, one week, house parties, bathing suits, and suntan lotion. Can she overcome her aversion to being noticed? Will he be able grow beyond his self-centered nature? Or, despite their obvious chemistry, will Martin be the one to drive Kaitlyn into the science cabinet of obscurity for good?

Quote:
After one and half semesters of virtually nothing but mundane academic interactions, I was in the chemistry lab with Martin Sandeke and his hands were roaming, liberal and greedy. His face was tucked in my neck. I was trapped against a lab table. Our bodies were intimately connected.

And I’d just moaned.

What the hiccup was going on?

I raised my palms to his chest and made to push him away. This only caused his hands to still, now on the curve of my waist, and his grip to tighten. He plastered our fronts together more completely.

“Um…” I cleared my throat, found my voice unsteady. “Yeah, yeah—all better.” I croaked.

He laughed. Actually, it was more like a lazy chuckle.

One of Martin’s hands slipped up my back and under the strap of my bra, where the itch had been, his fingers splayed wide. The other went to the clip on my head and released the spring. My hair fell like a curtain and I felt him wrap the thick length around his hand.

I pushed him again, tilted my head to the side and away, feeling unaccountably breathless. “I’m all better now. Thanks for the help. Services no longer needed.” Everywhere he touched sent ripples of awareness and heat to my core.

My attempt at escape was a failure because, as soon as I pressed against him in earnest, Martin tugged my hair, encouraged me to tilt my chin upward.

Then he kissed me.

And—damn, damn, damn—he was a good kisser.

More precisely, since I had grossly limited experience in the kissing department, he was what I imagined a good kisser would kiss like. The kind girls fantasize about. The guy who just takes what he wants, like he’s hungry and you’re on the menu, but somehow makes it epic for both parties involved.

No preamble, prologue, or preface. Just urgent, fervent, worshipful kisses, one right after the other. I had no choice but wrap my arms around his neck, stand on my tip toes, and try to kiss him back. Because, honestly, the way he held me, the way he growled when our tongues met, the way his mouth moved over mine—he demanded it.

Also, in the recesses of my mind, I realized that this entire situation was completely preposterous. Likely, he was drunk or tripping on acid or was playing some kind of joke.

One day I would persuade my grandchildren to gather ‘round while I put in my good dentures, the ones with no space between my two front teeth. I would tell them for the millionth time about how Hercules had once accidentally kissed me in the chemistry lab at my Ivy League University.

Review:
I'm not normally one for New Adult books. But my story is that Penny Reid tricked me into reading this, and I'm sticking with it.  That's right darn it. She tricked me by not saying what genre it was, just "Oh, here's my new story. Isn't it pretty and shiny?" and I was all, "You bet! Let me read it." Of course, I regret nothing, nothing I say. But still. Tricked.

First off, let me say that this is only part 1 of the story. At the end it's not resolved in any way, shape or form. Only read this if you are committed to reading the other two. I started this one, thinking I would be able to just read it and wait till closer to the release date for the second part, but I had to immediately dive into the ARC of book 2. The story sucked me in completely and wouldn't let me go. I was invested in the story.

Kaitlyn is very introverted, and a nerd of a girl. She likes playing video games, her guitar and reading. She takes schooling very seriously and isn't into the college party scene. Her mother is a Senator, her father the dean of a medical college and a grandfather who was an astronaut.

Martin, her chemistry partner is in every way her opposite. He comes from an incredibly wealthy family, is one of the most popular guys at school with his pick of women. He plays the part of the campus good time jock.

In Kaitlyn's mind the two of them don't make any sense. And yet Martin goes out of his way to chase her. Their week spent on his family's tropical island for spring break allows them to each see sides of the other they normally wouldn't and a budding relationship blooms. But can it withstand the reality of who they are when the world is watching?

There were some moments that I wanted to smack Kaitlyn and tell her to get out of her own way. There were also plenty of times I wanted to grab Martin and shake him and tell him to get over himself. But then I remembered their ages and growled excuses for them. Overall the signature Penny Reid dialogue and descriptions kept my eyes glued to the page and reading on. 4 stars from me.

This meme is about sharing your favorite quotes and the books they come from!
Hosted by Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup.

Everyone is welcome to join in: Readers, Bloggers & Authors.

Just grab the button and link back to Herding Cats and Burning Soup.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/04/quote-tastic-tale-of-accidental-kisses.html