MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

@GodessFish Interview: Ribbons of Death by Edita A Petrick

Ribbons of Death

Edita A Petrick

Genre: Mystery Suspense
Publisher: Solstice Publishing
Date of Publication: February 4, 2015
Number of pages: 320
Cover Artist: Michelle Crocker

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN
The ancients believed that once in a Blue Moon a child with Peacetaker powers is born. Such child, when grown to maturity, can seed murderous madness in people's minds by merely walking amongst them. A simple amulet activates the Peacetaker’s powers.

When a horribly scarred man knocks on the door of Stella Hunter’s ramshackle cottage in upstate Montana, she lets him in. What’s there to lose? The book critics killed her chances to warn the world about myths and legends behind the myths and legends.

But once the man pushes a book smudged with bloody fingerprints across the table, Stella sees a glimmer of hope. She may re-establish her credibility within the scientific community and vindicate her ‘peace-taker’ theory. She may also be murdered by anyone standing next to her if her theory is correct because the ancient curse is anything but extinct. In fact, the ancient curse has a new attitude.

Excerpt:

He kept his head tucked between his shoulders, watching one ‘on-the-scene’ reporter after another give commentaries to the police and medical work that went on in the background. Suddenly he felt Stella’s hand settle on his and turned his head. She was saying something. He pulled down the earphones because he wasn’t in a lip-reading mood.

“He struck at a local fair,” she said quietly.

He remembered her saying something like that earlier, though at the time it could have been just sarcasm.

“Your prediction was right,” he said.

“Yes but it’s something else. Let me have the laptop.”

He watched her call up a map of Dayton, Ohio, then zoom in and start pointing with the mouse arrow at the names of communities mentioned by the news reporters: Oakwood, Kettering, Whites Corners.

“Here,” she said, pointing the mouse at the red line of Interstate 675. “This is where the southbound effect stopped or played out. I didn’t hear any reports of an outbreak of madness in Belmont or Shakertown. None west of Interstate 75 either. It affected a long strip about half a mile wide at best; in geographical terms certainly a ribbon of madness that ended at I-657.”

“Another atypical strike,” he murmured. They didn’t need more puzzles. They were still trying to make sense of what they had.

Interview:

Today, we welcome Edita A. Petrick to Musings and Ramblings. Let's all give a big Geeky welcome!

Geeky…? Oh-kay – any welcome is welcome.

Let's start with some writer specific questions before moving into the fun stuff. That way everyone can really get to know the person behind the writer. We will finish things off with a round of Think Fast. Ready for the interrogation to begin?

I never am when that question is asked but hey, let’s give it a try.

Writing Specific

Is your writing style more plotter or pantser?
I plot by walking around with the story in my head until it takes shape – and has structure. Then it gets down – written. No notes, just head.

When is your favorite time/place to write? Do you write structured or patchworked?
Time – whenever people leave me alone and I have a take-out dish by my side. Place – coffee shops with Wi-Fi, library
I write structured. I couldn’t possibly go back and fill in large plot holes. I could only make small ‘fixes.’

How do you deal with Writer's Block?
Never had it. Honest, If I can’t move ahead with one story, I pick up another or read a good book. That usually works wonders.

How involved are you with Social Media and self-promotion?
Are you kidding me…?! These days, with publisher doing next to nothing for the author, self-promo any way you can is…absolutely crucial. Sometimes I get lost in reading the posts and don’t realize lunch-time’s over and it’s time to run back to work. The day-job work-place that is.

What one thing do you wish someone had told you before you started writing?
Nothing really. Writing stage has evolved. Writing 20 years ago was nowhere the same as writing today. I mean I had an IBM typewriter – electric – that was a treat. And writing 30 years ago was a minor challenge – sitting on a subway, commuting to work downtown, large paper pad on my lap, pen in hand….writing. I always wrote something, anything, anywhere. What was hard was transcribing all those great notes when better writing mediums came along. I knew very early in life what I was in for – and I was in it for the long haul, at the same time holding down a full time job that was actually a corporate career.

Tell us something about yourself that's not in your bio.
What’s not there and shouldn’t be is that I stopped writing after each devastating thing that happened in my life. I stopped writing when my dad passed away – I was just starting university. I stopped writing when my ex departed for greener vistas, I stopped writing when we lost the house and were left sitting at the curb – parent in wheelchair, dog on a leash and two young children in hand; I stopped writing when the fad of corporate re-structuring came along and for four years I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop until I couldn’t take it anymore and decided to leave and resume writing; I stopped writing when my mother died. I couldn’t even get out of bed for months, never mind look at the computer; depression is a very ugly thing. I stopped writing when my daughter dropped out of high school and when my son quit the college basketball team and I stopped writing when our dog was poisoned…and then one day, I made it to the basement and found a dusty copy of Sidney Sheldon’s “Bloodline.” It was my mother’s book and just as I was about to put it down, I heard her voice – memory of it, really – She’d lift one of Sheldon’s books to me and say, “Edita, why can’t you write like this?” She said it every time I complained that I got another rejection. And that was that, as they say. I laughed and off I went to write. That was in 2005. And in 2006 I published my first novel with Write Words, Inc. And things got better from then on. Daughter smartened up and went to college and university and another college. Son went to university and started to play basketball and baseball in men’s leagues and we got two more beloved pets – naming one of them …Sidney. But that IS in my bio.

What do you like to do when you are not writing?
I do some reading. I cook and freeze meals. I love to watch TV shows – on a CD, the entire season or seasons as the case may be. I hate watching TV shows piecemeal. I do gardening, I paint, clean, pack, re-pack, fix things around the house and go window-shopping – in Home Depot. I also like to ‘discover’ new sushi places that don’t use any nuts in preparation of food. And now and then I allow myself to go to antique auctions and go visit out of the way places to find pleasing watercolors.

How did you choose the genres you write in?
I read them so I write them.

Is there any particular author or book that has influenced you or your writing?
Top ten inspirations have to correspond to ten novels that got me going and here they are:

1. Sherlock Holmes (Doyle’s collected works but particularly The Hound of the Baskervilles)
  2. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Jules Verne)
  3. I, Robot (Isaac Asimov)
  4. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Philip K. Dick)
  5. Entire Collection of Agatha Christie books
  6. The Mote in God’s Eye (Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle)
  7. Rebecca (Daphne du Maurier)
  8. The Client (John Grisham)
  9. Along Came a Spider (James Patterson)
  10. Clear and Present Danger (Tom Clancy)

– plus a whole lot more.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
Many years ago, an editor-friend refused to edit one of my manuscripts because, as she said, it would be hurtful. She insisted that I enroll in a writing workshop that led to enrollment in a writing course at the University and then I took a few more of hands-on writing workshops. And then she asked me to copy out a page or two from a bestselling novel so I could tell the difference between good writing craft and what she said was “unacceptable form.”

When an Ellora’s Cave editor (long gone – one reason why I need to leave them too) returned my edited manuscript and said, “This didn’t need much work at all.” And very recently, just months ago, another editor said about my “Ribbons” book, “I got up in the middle of the night to go finish the edit on the book. I forced myself to put it down to go to sleep and couldn’t sleep. I had to know how it ended.”

Fun Stuff

What was the last movie/concert/show that you saw?
MOVIE - Lucy – love Scarlett J. – but this is one she should have let “get away from her….and keep going.”

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
Telepathy – it would help me understand my family members, my co-workers and my current boss.

What is your bigges pet peeve?
When service people say, “This won’t take long,” and three hours later you’re fighting an urge to strangle them.

What would we find in your refrigerator right now?
My son-in-law

Pick two celebrities to be your parents. Who are they and why?
Liev Schreiber and Naomi Watts – whenever I pick up a tabloid in a supermarket and they are featured for one reason or another, they’re with their kids and doing normal, parental things. They just seem so ‘regular-parents’ to me.

Think Fast

Meat or Veggies? Veggies
Italian or Chinese? Chinese - Cantonese
Summer or Winter? Summer- Summer-summer
Cake or Pie? Pie
Car or Truck? Truck

Thanks for coming by and spending some time with us. Any final words of wisdom to pass along?

Be especially nice to those friends and family members who understand your ‘writing hobby,’ and pitch in so you can have free time to write, because they are a treasure.
I have a few questions for your readers:

1. Do you prefer to read a book of 200 pages or less or do you brave to read one 350+pages?
  2. Do you think that Amazon coming up with Kindle Direct and Kindle Unlimited is a good thing or a bad thing?
  3. Is the romantic angle – subtle or more developed – needed in every commercial book?
  4. When you buy a Kindle off Amazon, how long does it take you to get to it?

Thank you for your time and answers. Edita.

Giveaway:

Edita will be awarding a Kindle copy of “Ribbons of Death” gifted from Amazon to 4 randomly drawn winners via rafflecopter during the tour.

Author Bio:

By profession, I’m an engineer and ten years ago, I left a corporate job to concentrate on writing. It was perhaps the scariest thing I’ve done. Of course, there were other considerations at the time, life, kids, economy and my mother who was battling cancer. I wrote as means of staying grounded because I had to hold it together. There was no one else to pitch in. There wasn’t a single moment that I didn’t have doubts about whether what I was doing was the right thing or not, but doubts come and go, while the need to write goes on forever. Since 2005 I’ve published 5 books and this year alone I have 6 new ones coming out. I live in Toronto with my family and our two pets – wheaten terriers. And whenever I’m tempted to look back, and start second-guessing my past decisions, I sit behind the computer and start another book. At least for me, that’s a cure-all.

To connect with the author online:

Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/04/interview-ribbons-of-death-by-edita.html