MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Quote-Tastic: I'm On My Way

Shadow of Doubt

SBG, #2

P.A. DePaul

Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: InterMix
Date of Publication: April 21, 2015
Number of pages: 428

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN    Kobo     ARe

The new SBG novel from the author of Exchange of Fire.

When her secretly filmed tryst shows up on the internet, Michelle Alger goes on the run. She has no choice. Not only was her one-night stand the son of a US senator, but he’s been murdered—and she’s the number one suspect. With both the senator and an avenging drug lord on her trail, her life is in danger. There’s only man she can trust. He saved her once, but will he still be her hero six years later?

Captain Jeremy Malone and the rest of Delta Squad have the senator’s order: find the mystery woman who killed my son. But to Jeremy, she’s no mystery. Six years ago his team of Green Berets rescued her from the torturous clutches of a Colombian cartel, and he’s never forgotten her. His personal and covert mission: find Michelle before anyone else. When he and Michelle do meet again, the sparks are explosive and consuming. They’re also dangerous as hell.

Because with each new bit of evidence, Jeremy suspects that Michelle’s innocence may be a ruse—a beautiful trap set by a woman who has even more secrets yet to bare.

Quote:
Michelle laughed. The musical sound coursed through him, overriding the loud traffic and noxious fumes. He closed his eyes and reveled in the joy. It was the first time he had ever heard it. A war of emotions ripped through him, each grappling to take hold. Lust, peace, regret, ownership— his eyes snapped open. Shit. He was in trouble. Mine, kept running through his heart despite his head telling it there were too many reasons why he couldn’t have her.

Talon stepped forward, frowning.

MINE, his heart said again, as if to make a point.

“I know.” Michelle’s voice dragged him back from his inner battle. “PussyFoot’s a horrible name. I’m in room nine.”

“We’ll be there in thirty minutes.” Cappy promised, and Talon halted his steps, putting his hands on his hips. “Don’t move or open your door for anyone.”

“Hurry, please. I promised to meet Creepy Stevie, the desk manager, after he got off work in order to get him to knock the price down. I really, really don’t want to.”

Cappy choked. “His name is Creepy Stevie? Really?”

“Well, no. I don’t know what it is actually. It’s what I call him.”

“Good to know. What time is he expecting you?”

“Six, but I bet he shows up early.”

Cappy had no doubt. “I’m on my way."

Review:

I was introduced to this author and series by Anna over at Herding Cat & Burning Soup. She had such good things to say about it, that I had to check out the first book in the series myself. I really enjoy strong female characters and one who is a sniper seemed a good fit. I liked the book, and was excited to see book 2 come available on Netgalley.

This book picks up shortly after the end of Exchange of Fire. This time are heroine is from the civilian world and the hero is Cappy, head of Delta Squad. Michelle was rescued from being tortured by a Columbian Cartel 6 years ago. Rescued by Captain Jeremy "Cappy" Malone, the same night his entire team is killed in a car bomb at the cartel compound. Cappy went into the SBG, Michelle into Witness Protection. Cappy had given Michelle his number and told her if she ever needed him, he would come, no questions asked. And with her being the number one suspect in the death of a senator's son, she needs him.

There were several times that I shed tears in this book. Michelle has been through a horrifying experience and her scars aren't just skin deep. Cappy thinks he's not good enough for her, what with all the members of his team dying that night and his survivor's guilt. These are two broken people who somehow miraculously fit together and make each other better. Their journey towards acceptance of themselves is skillfully intertwined with the overall story arc.

Bad guy Victor returns, still pulling strings and manipulating events to his benefit. But we also get to see more in-depth into the other members of Delta Squad and Senator Bob. There is a definite plan in place for the overall story arc, and each individual book gives us a bit more to puzzle over how it will eventually end up.

This book spoke to me much more than the first one. I think with the characters and their personalities in place, more time could be spent on their interpersonal dynamics and how they relate to one another versus the outside world. There was less world building and more character building. I strongly suggest starting with book 1 for the complete experience and background. This was a 4 star read for me.

Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Intermix for the opportunity to read and review the book.

This meme is about sharing your favorite quotes and the books they come from!
Hosted by Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup.

Everyone is welcome to join in: Readers, Bloggers & Authors.

Just grab the button and link back to Herding Cats and Burning Soup.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/04/quote-tastic-im-on-my-way.html