MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Great Escapes Interview: Dying Brand by Wendy Tyson

Dying Brand

Allison Campbell Mystery, #3

Wendy Tyson

Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publisher: Henery Press
Date of Publication: May 5, 2015
Number of pages: 262

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo
When image consultant Allison Campbell attends an award ceremony to honor a designer friend, she’s thrust into a murder investigation. Only this time, it’s personal.

A former boyfriend is dead, slain on the streets of Philadelphia. His widow claims he was meeting with Allison, yet Allison hadn’t spoken to him in years. Nothing about his death—or life—makes sense. When compromising photos from their past arrive at Allison’s office, they raise more questions than they answer.

Driven to find justice, Allison deconstructs the image her ex had created for himself, looking for clues about the man he’d become. As her hunt for the truth unveils secrets, Allison’s past and present collide—with deadly results.

Related subjects include: cozy mysteries, women sleuths, whodunit mysteries (whodunnit), murder mystery series, amateur sleuth books, mysteries and thrillers, suspense.

Books in the Allison Campbell Mystery Series: KILLER IMAGE (#1) DEADLY ASSETS (#2) DYING BRAND (#3)

Part of the Henery Press Mystery Series Collection, if you like one, you'll probably like them all…

Interview:

Today, we welcome Wendy Tyson to Musings and Ramblings. Let's all give a big Geeky welcome!
Hi everyone! Thank you! I’m thrilled to be here!

Let's start with some writer specific questions before moving into the fun stuff. That way everyone can really get to know the person behind the writer. We will finish things off with a round of Think Fast. Ready for the interrogation to begin?

What’s a mystery without an interrogation? By all means, ask away.

Writing Specific

Is your writing style more plotter or pantser?
Definitely pantser. I write the first draft without an outline. I usually start by doing some free writing with a pen and a blank notebook, stream of consciousness kind of stuff. I use this process to work out the general concept for a book, but it’s a very unstructured process and I rarely return to these notebooks later. Then I start writing. I do make a rough outline after I finish the first draft. That’s when my left brain kicks in—I want to be sure all of the loose ends are tied up and all of the plot points flow.

When is your favorite time/place to write? Do you write structured or patchworked?
My favorite time to write is early in the morning, before anyone else is awake (other than my three dogs). I love the silence of morning. If I get up early enough, my inner critic is still asleep and it’s easier to write when I’m not interrupted by her constant critiquing. So ideally I write every morning from about 4:30-6:30, before work.

The reality, though, is that I write in a very patchwork manner. I do try to get up early and write each day, and that’s how my first novels were written, but as other demands become more pressing, that schedule—along with my precious morning writing time—gets compromised. I work full-time and I have three kids. As a result, I’ve learned to write anywhere and at any time. I almost always carry my laptop, and I write during my sons’ lacrosse or soccer practice, during lunch while at work, and even in the dentist’s waiting room. At the very least, I carry a notebook with me so that I can jot down ideas when they occur at random times (isn’t that when they typically occur?).

How do you deal with Writer's Block?
Free writing! If I get stuck on a scene or a plot point, or if I feel like a character isn’t quite right, I get out those notebooks out and start writing again. What I write doesn’t really matter, but the process of writing, the very visceral feel of pen on paper, helps me to regain my writing mojo. Whenever aspiring authors tell me they don’t know what to write about, I suggest that technique. It really does help to get the imagination going.

Tell us something about yourself that's not in your bio.
Before my writing career, before law school, before I was a therapist, I was a veterinary assistant. I originally went to college for Animal Bio Science in the hopes of becoming a veterinarian. Throughout my teen years and after college, I worked at a variety of animal-related jobs, from stable hand to farm hand to kennel worker to veterinary assistant. By the end of my first year in college, I realized veterinary medicine wasn’t for me. I’ve never lost my passion for animals, though. I now have three dogs (two Labs and a mixed breed) and we hope to someday have a small farm of our own.

What do you like to do when you are not writing?
I like to spend time traveling with my family and gardening. As a family, we enjoy road trips. Last year, we drove from our home in Pennsylvania to Montana, where we stayed for two weeks before driving home again. The time in Montana was wonderful, but the process of getting there—visiting points along the way in Wisconsin, South Dakota and Wyoming—was pretty amazing. I have three boys, and my eleven-year-old twins saw more of our beautiful country than they ever would have had we flown.

Gardening is another passion. My husband and I are avid organic gardeners. Years ago, affected by the market downturn and concerned about the price of organic produce, we decided to grow our own vegetables. Our small garden plot now takes up most of our third of an acre yard and we enjoy our own vegetables year-round. In fact, I have a new series coming out beginning next year and it focuses on organic farming. It’s called the Greenhouse Mystery Series, and the main character is a lawyer who returns home to rural Pennsylvania to care for her spirited, aging grandmother and run the family’s organic farm and café. In the first book, A Muddied Murder (February 2016), she and the town’s hot veterinarian find the body of the local zoning commissioner in her barn and she needs to find the killer.

Fun Stuff

What was the last movie/concert/show that you saw?
We saw The Cat Empire (an Australian band) at the World Café Live in Philadelphia. Fabulous concert.

What was the name of the last book you read?
The Witching Hour by Ann Rice

Tell us 2 positive and 2 negative character traits you possess.
Positive: hardworking and empathetic; Negative: disorganized (at least outside of my head!) and (at times) overly focused

What is your biggest pet peeve?
Inconsiderate behavior. Perhaps I’m old-fashioned, but I think manners matter. Simple behaviors make a difference, and when you model them for children, you pass those behaviors forward. Hold a door, let someone in front of you in traffic, wave when someone lets you in front of them in traffic, say “thank you” or “please”…it’s a crowded world (especially where I live), and when we show kindness and consideration to one another, we make it a better place.

What would we find in your refrigerator right now?
Sadly, very little that’s edible. I’ve been traveling for work for the past week and the leftovers that were in the fridge before I left are still in the fridge now. Next up on my to-do list today: grocery shopping!

Think Fast

AM or PM? AM
Meat or Veggies? Veggies
Summer or Winter? Summer
Coffee or Tea? Coffee
Dead Tree or Electronic? Dead tree

Thanks for coming by and spending some time with us. Any final words of wisdom to pass along?

Just a big “thank you” to you and your wonderful readers! It’s always a pleasure to be here.

Giveaway:

$25 Amazon Gift Card and 1 copy of the book

Author Bio:

Wendy Tyson is an author, lawyer and former therapist whose background has inspired her mysteries and thrillers. Her latest novel, DEADLY ASSETS, the second in the Allison Campbell mystery series, was released on July 22. The first Campbell novel, KILLER IMAGE, was named a best mystery for book clubs in 2014 by Examiner.com and the third Campbell installment, DYING BRAND, is due to be released on May 26. Wendy lives on a micro-farm near Philadelphia with her husband, three sons and two muses, dogs Molly and Driggs.

To connect with the author online:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/05/interview-dying-brand-wendy-tyson.html