MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Audio Review: Ready to Roll by Melanie Greene

Narrator: Amy Rubinate
Date of Publication: February 24, 2015
Abridged or Unabridged: Unabridged
Length of Production: 2 hours and 20 minutes

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     Audible
Janice Newton avoids close ties by directing all her energy toward her job and using her well-developed defense system to keep everyone, especially the co-worker she secretly craves, at arm's length. But will her fear of reopening old wounds keep her from a relationship with the one person who sees through her tough exterior and into her vulnerable heart?

Miguel Rosas has developed a strategy of his own - one that should tumble Janice's walls - if only he can execute it. A burning dinner, intrusive relatives, and a secret from his past conspire to keep his plans half-baked, though he’s determined to get things sizzling.

This standalone novella featuring characters from Melanie Greene’s ROCKET MAN brings Janice and Miguel together for a long-anticipated date that threatens to become an epic disaster. Little does Miguel know that the very problems he’s trying to quell provide the insights that finally make Janice READY TO ROLL.

This is a novella in the Roll of the Dice series. We met Janice and Miguel in book one, Rocket Man. Janice was Serena's work friend and sounding board, so we got to know her much better than we did Miguel, as he was more a background character in the book.  At the close of Rocket Man, Janice and Miguel were together. This is the story that gets them there.

I liken this story to a one act play. All the characters being in one location, in one time frame. Since the characters know each other rather well, as co-worker for years, most of the getting to know you stuff has been dispensed with. What we have here is that moment. The moment when they both decide to put their feelings on the line and take their friendly relationship to the next level.  It's a surprisingly intimate novella, as we dive into the characters at this crucial juncture.  And it really, really worked for me.

I was able to really get into each of the character's heads right away. I had remembered Janice fondly from Rocket Man, but actually being in her head was something else. And Miguel... Wow. Just. Wow. He really surprised me. I wasn't expecting so much self-aware alpha goodness is such a quiet, fairly unassuming man. Totally hot, by the way.

For a very short listen at just under 2 and half hours, there was a lot of emotion and emotional growth going on in this story. Amy Rubinate once again did a fantastic job with the voices and really brought this story alive.  I am giving this 4 stars.

Thank you to the author, Melanie Green, for the opportunity to listen and review the book.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/05/audio-review-ready-to-roll-melanie-greene.html