MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Great Escapes Review: Coffee is Murder by Carolyn Arnold

Publisher: Carolyn Arnold
Date of Publication: May 27, 2015
Number of pages: 155
Word Count: 33,000

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo
You might want to rethink your morning routine. A cup a day won’t kill you, but a few might.

Their first case as private investigators have Sean, Sara, and Jimmy neck-deep in coffee beans trying to find a killer. With their client certain that her mother was poisoned through her coffee of the month club, it has them setting out to Williamsburg, Virginia. But instead of approaching matters from the traditional standpoint, Sean and Sara brew a robust plot and stir Jimmy into the blend, all to get close to their top suspect and grind out the truth.

Going undercover at Tasty Beans, the coffee company, the three of them work to expose the culprit before anyone else dies.

THE MCKINLEY MYSTERY SERIES ventures outside of the typical crime genre, lending itself to the cozy variety with no foul language or graphic violence. The series combines romance, mystery, humor, and adventure for a lighthearted, easy read. Each episode is a standalone read, meaning it’s not necessary to have read previous installments.

Excerpt:

Chapter 4
Blond And Determined

SEAN AND SARA TOOK THE file to the meeting room, which had a glass table and seating for six. The space had more sleek lines and chrome. A large screen was on one wall—the modern-day solution to a marker board. Adam’s enthusiasm about the technology of the interactive whiteboard was contagious and had Sean parting with the money.

Every time Sean entered the room, though, he was glad that he had made the investment. Adam’s praise was well-deserving. The board served a decorative purpose and was practical. Unlike the traditional predecessor, with this electronic one, it was possible to save any notes or doodles as images and PDFs.

Sean handed Sara the file. She was a faster reader, so, once she finished reading a sheet, she would pass it on to him and keep going. They still had more to read when two shadows graced the doorway.

It was Helen and a pretty blonde, who, Sean assumed, must be their prospective client, Sophie Hogan. He had read enough of the preliminary. Between the application and what Helen had told him, he was aware Sophie worked as a nurse in a retirement home. It was her mother, Beverly Sparks, who’d passed away. She was sixty-nine at the time of her death.

“Sean, Sara, this is Sophie Hogan.” Helen conducted the formal introductions as she guided the woman farther into the room.

“Hello. Nice to meet you both. Thank you for agreeing to take my case.” Sophie shook Sean’s hand.

He didn’t have the heart to correct her assumption. This meeting was a preliminary interview. She had made it past Helen, and now he and Sara had to decide if they’d accept the case, or if there even was one to take on.

Sophie clasped Sara’s hand in greeting now. “You are beautiful.”

“Thank you. So are you.”

Sean never tired of people saying that to his wife. She was attractive both inside and outside and had a quality that drew people. Jealousy periodically slipped in when it involved men, but he was working to root out the undesirable quality.

Sophie’s head dipped and she pulled out a chair, but hesitated. “I guess I shouldn’t assume. Is it all right if I sit here?”

“Of course.” Sara spoke gently and Sean admired, again, his wife’s ability to put people at ease.

Sophie was positioned across from them so it worked out ideally. Eye contact and being able to read a person’s body language was a big factor in conversation. Often, more was said through energy and movement than was communicated through words.

“I’m going to excuse myself, if that will be all.” Helen waved a hand, pointing toward the door.

“That will be. Thank you, Helen,” Sean said.

She closed the door behind her, and Sean settled his gaze on Sophie. She was thirty-two, according to the file, but she could have passed for mid-twenties. Her eyes were hazel and her hair was bottle-blond with dark lowlights. She wore it down at the back with the sides pulled up and clipped into a barrette. As a generalization, women freed their face of wandering strands when they were focused. And, despite her timorous mannerisms, Sean saw a person who was likely confident in her own right. He figured that consulting with private investigators ventured outside of most people’s comfort zones.

The business had opened its doors a month ago and had come together rather quickly—money equaled power, and, when the contractors found out it was multi-billionaire Sean McKinley requesting their services, they were more than efficient. A job that might have stretched out for months if they were working for someone else was condensed to the timespan of thirty days.

Three months ago, they had bought the property. Two months ago, they had hired the contractor. And one month ago, they had officially opened the doors. With the applications coming in from the moment they’d purchased the property, they were ready to start as soon as they found a case that matched their criteria.

“Would you like a cup of coffee or a glass of water?” Sara asked her.

Sophie shook her head. “Your assistant did ask me, but I’m good. I’m off coffee right now.”

“All right, well, we’ve read a good portion of your file and application, but it’s much better to hear things straight from the person. First of all, you have our sympathies for your loss,” Sean said.

Sophie’s lips quivered and she nodded.

“You don’t believe it was related to her age.”

She slid her bottom lip through her teeth. “Not at all. My mother was in good physical shape. She might not have been very active, but she was sixty-nine. Still, considering her age and all she had gone through in life, she had many more years left.” Her voice fractured on the last sentence.

“You’re saying that she was murdered?” Sara’s tone was soft.

“That’s exactly what I’m saying.”

Review:

Most of the time, when a book catches my eye, I do some research on it. Is it part of a series? How far along in the series? How often does the author publish a new book in the series? What else has the author written? What are the reviews on that book or others by the author? Have any of my blogger friends reviewed it? You get the picture.

But occasionally, I like to throw caution to the winds and review something blind, based only on the cover and blurb. This book was one of those times.

If I had seen that this book was #9 in a series, I probably would have passed on it, and missed a very cute cozy mystery. I wouldn't go so far as to say the book is a great stand alone read, but the lack of history and detailed backstory of each character didn't detract from the real meat of the what the story was about. These characters were quite interesting and I bet the lead up stories are just as enjoyable as this one was.

For being a novella, there was surprising depth to the story. I would liken this to a standard mystery novel, but with all the sub plots and extraneous stuff cut out. It was short, sweet and to the point.

There were a couple spots where the author had the characters repeating themselves, really driving home a point and I was like "Okay, I get it already. He really loves and treasures his wife." But these also felt like they might have something to do with those backstories from previous books that I don't know anything about.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read, and can see myself reading more by the author. I gave the book 3 stars for this cozy mystery novella.

Thanks to the author and Great Escapes Book Tours for the opportunity to read and review the book.

Author Bio:

Carolyn Arnold is an award-winning and International bestselling author, a blogger, and is published in IUeMag, a distinguished online magazine dedicated to inspiring people. She is also the proud founder of the Shining Soul site that is geared to healing, motivation, and self-empowerment.

Since she published in 2011, her books have been sold and downloaded well over half a million times. Titles in her Madison Knight, Brandon Fisher FBI, and McKinley Mystery series have all hit bestselling lists. Her work ranges from cozy mysteries to hard-boiled detective and FBI procedurals.

Born in a small town, Carolyn enjoys returning to her roots and spending time in the country reflecting on life and letting her imagination run wild. She currently lives in a city near Toronto with her husband and two beagles, Max and Chelsea.

To connect with the author online:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn | Goodreads

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/05/review-coffee-is-murder-carolyn-arnold.html