MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Review: Ripped by Edie Harris

Publisher: Carina Press
Date of Publication: May 18, 2015
Number of pages: 226
Word Count: 88,850

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     ARe
Attorney and political heavyweight Tobias Faraday is the Ice King, a man alone in the eye of a deadly storm. And in the wake of his sister’s torture, he’s out for blood.

The key to Tobias’s revenge is the disavowed British spy he’s kept imprisoned for weeks. Chandler McCallister can get him behind enemy lines in Russia, but the clever double-agent has a demand of her own before she puts her life on the line in the name of redemption.

Posing as Chandler’s boyfriend at an aristocratic wedding in the English countryside won’t kill Tobias. Not in theory.

As the threat of Moscow looms larger and the enemy reveals himself to be crueler than any human can imagine, Tobias reluctantly partners with his prisoner to derail the immediate threat—to their families, to Faraday Industries, and to their lives. What he finds in the process is a feverish, relentless need already melting the ice from his veins.

The first book in this series, Blamed, I read and reviewed back in December. I was taken with the idea of a female assassin from family of spies. The book more than met any expectations that I had and left me wanting more from the Faraday family.  So I was thrilled to see that Tobias, Beth's older brother, had the next book in the series.

This book continues the story line from the first book, as Tobias tracks down those who kidnapped and tortured his sister. He is willing to use anyone and everything to get the vengeance he needs for Beth. He doesn't take into account his reaction to Chandler though.

When we met Chandler in the first book, she was a very unsympathetic character. But after spending some time in her head, with her memories, I have changed my tune, and so does Tobias. I don't think it's too spoilery to say that there is a HEA. Since the story is all about them getting to that point. But there was this quote by Tobias that literally brought tears to my eyes that I have to share:

“You were never supposed to be mine. But you are. Chandler, you’re mine.” His hand lifted, hovered next to her cheek until the heat from his palm scorched her skin but never made contact. “You’re no one’s property, but my heart... it recognizes you. It knows you. It claims you. It needs you so goddamn much that it has decided it can’t go on beating without you there to shock it back to life every second of every day.” Finally he cupped her jaw, and they both visibly shuddered. “Please keep me alive, Chandler."

I mean, come on, how was I supposed to NOT shed a tear with a statement like that. Especially after spending the entire book getting to know Tobias. The placement and timing of this quote in the book, did me in. Ring the bell, stick a fork in me, I'm done.

I was hooked in this book from the beginning and had no wimpy issues with Chandler like I did with Beth. Also, although Tobias was a bit of a hard ass... okay, way more than a bit, I liked him throughout the book.  We learn more about the Faraday family, as well as the Quinn cousins in this book and I can't wait to find out more that has been hinted for book 3, Crazed. I am giving this book 5 stars.

Thanks to Carina Press and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/05/review-ripped-by-edie-harris.html