MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

A Ghostly Undertaking

A Ghostly Undertaking - Tonya Kappes I have been a fan of Tonya Kappes and her Magical Cure Mystery series so I knew right away that I wanted to read this new series. Being a Southern girl myself, I always appreciate a good southern tale done right. This series combines the best of southern-isms, good cozy mysteries with a bit of paranormal thrown in to keep things interesting.

Emma Lee and her sister Charlotte Rae took over the family funeral home business when their parents retired to Florida. Charlotte Rae handles the people side of things while Emma Lee is all about the behind the scenes details. Everything seems to be going well, when Emma gets bonked on the head by a falling Santa and starts talking to a ghost. The doctor labels it "funeral trauma" due to being around so many dead bodies. She hoped it was just a minor hallucination, until Ruthie Sue Payne is killed. Now Ruthie demands that Emma Lee find out who killed her and won't take no for an answer.

The book is full of distinctive characters and all the charm of small southern town. Emma Lee has to figure out how to not only keep her ghost seeing a secret, but keep her "funeral trauma" from ruining the family business. There are no shortage of suspects and the clues even lead to Emma Lee's own Granny. With the help of Sheriff Jack Henry, who believes in her ability, she helps to figure out what happens before someone else ends up dead.

This was an entertaining read from start to finish. Between Granny and Ruthie's antics, they had me laughing out loud. I gave this 4 stars and can't wait to get started on book 2, A Ghostly Grave due out at the end of the month.

Thanks to Edelweiss and Witness publishing for the opportunity to read and review the book.