MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Catching Cassidy (Harborside Nights, Book One) New Adult Romance

Catching Cassidy (Harborside Nights, Book One) New Adult Romance - Melissa Foster It's books just like this one, that keep me away from New Adult. When I first saw it, I didn't know it was New Adult. The cover looked good, the blurb sounded promising. College graduates? I thought there would be a higher maturity level to be found. Yeah? No.

I couldn't even force myself to finish this book. The flip flopping back and forth, back and forth that Wyatt does gave me whiplash. First its, 'We're only friends'. Then, 'Lets be more'. Next, 'Oh, noes it will wreck our friendship'. Then, 'But I love you'. Back to 'Our friendship means more to me'.... Back and forth. *eye twitch* I am guessing the book ends with 'Let's have the best of both worlds and be friends and lovers'?? I don't know, and honestly, I didn't care after awhile.

But let's talk about Cassidy. I had some issues with her as well. First off, why would you let this guy, I don't care if you have known him forever, keep doing this to you. Then there is the whole deal with her parents and how crappy they treated her all her life. But she went to school to get a degree in a field that makes her miserable on the off chance they will finally keep a promise about being around more if she gets the job they want her to have, in the city they want her to live in? After pages and pages (literally) of her thinking about their broken promises and casual disregard for her feelings. Really? Really??

It's possible that I could have dealt with all this if the writing wasn't all tell, tell, tell. There were pages upon pages with no dialogue. None!! There would be one little scene with some dialogue and then pages of what happened over the next few hours or days told from each of their perspectives, with no real action to show for it. I finally threw in the towel and called it a day.

There were some promising secondary characters in this introduction to the series and I liked the idea and where the author will eventually head with the series. Basically, the premise is sound, but the execution fell flat. Personally, I think the book needs a really good editor and a rewrite. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks to Tasty Book Tours and the author for the opportunity to read and review the book.