MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Bite the Biscuit

Bite the Biscuit - Linda O. Johnston Years and years ago, there was a tv show on that included a bakery that sold pet treats, mainly for dogs. I can't, for the life of me remember which show it was, but I remember thinking it looked like a lot of fun, being able to cater to the furry population and their owners. So when I saw a cozy mystery set in this very scenario, I just had to give it a try.

Carrie Kennersly is the proud new owner of not just one shop, but two. The first is an established bakery called Icing on the Cake, the second is an off shoot of it called the Barkery. A pets only bakery, that is a mirror image of Icing on the Cake, but allows pet owners to bring their pets in for a special treat. As a vet tech and dog lover, Carrie had been experimenting with creating healthy, all natural treats for the animals at the veterinary where she has worked. Now, with the both the financial and moral support of the senior vet, she has turned that hobby into a new career.

But on the day of the grand opening of the shops, Carrie finds out that not everyone is happy about her success. The wife of the town's Pet Emporium, and the manager of the local resort spends the day bad mouthing both Carrie and her product. When she is found murdered, Carrie is the prime suspect. To remove herself from the suspect pool, Carrie starts doing some digging of her own.

As the first book in the series, there was a lot of information to be disseminated to the reader about both the world and the characters. This was smoothly and skillfully done. Information was presented as needed, so there is still much to learn as we go along. I was impressed with the honesty and maturity of Carrie. There were several instances where drama could have been manufactured by misunderstandings, but Carrie would pluck up the courage and immediately address them. This kept the attention on the mystery itself.

We were introduced to some interesting and varied characters in this first book, including: Carrie's younger brother, the senior vet, the woman who sold the bakery, the owner of a local pet shelter and several potential love interests. And it appears we have only barely scratched their surfaces. This is a promising start to a new series and one that kept me guessing right till the end. I am giving this book 4 stars.

Thanks to Netgalley and the author for the opportunity to read and review the book.