MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Coffee is Murder (McKinley Mysteries Book 9)

Coffee is Murder (McKinley Mysteries Book 9) - Carolyn Arnold, Lisa Dawn Martinez, Patricia Scandling Most of the time, when a book catches my eye, I do some research on it. Is it part of a series? How far along in the series? How often does the author publish a new book in the series? What else has the author written? What are the reviews on that book or others by the author? Have any of my blogger friends reviewed it? You get the picture.

But occasionally, I like to throw caution to the winds and review something blind, based only on the cover and blurb. This book was one of those times.

If I had seen that this book was #9 in a series, I probably would have passed on it, and missed a very cute cozy mystery. I wouldn't go so far as to say the book is a great stand alone read, but the lack of history and detailed backstory of each character didn't detract from the real meat of the what the story was about. These characters were quite interesting and I bet the lead up stories are just as enjoyable as this one was.

For being a novella, there was surprising depth to the story. I would liken this to a standard mystery novel, but with all the sub plots and extraneous stuff cut out. It was short, sweet and to the point.

There were a couple spots where the author had the characters repeating themselves, really driving home a point and I was like "Okay, I get it already. He really loves and treasures his wife." But these also felt like they might have something to do with those backstories from previous books that I don't know anything about.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read, and can see myself reading more by the author. I gave the book 3 stars for this cozy mystery novella.

Thanks to the author and Great Escapes Book Tours for the opportunity to read and review the book.