MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Chain of Command

Chain of Command - HelenKay Dimon I started to label this book a contemporary romance, but ended up changing my mind. Sawyer a former Major in the Marine Corp, his buddies are either former Marines or Seals, and there are several scenes where one of Hailey's friends is dealing with a Navy jerk ex-boyfriend. But that's not why. Hailey has complicated issues dealing with military men. She lost her parents, a former boyfriend and the uncle who raised her to fighting overseas. The military is almost like a secondary character, or at the very least, a massive deterrent to Hailey and Sawyer's HEA.

Hailey is quite the spunky character. She does a great job of standing up to Sawyer and anyone else who tries to push her around. Sawyer on the other hand, turned out to be sweeter and more compassionate than one would think just looking at him. I liked that the characters weren't cliches or caricatures, and the story didn't take these routes either. I was surprised several times with a direction the story went or how something played out. Plus the secondary characters were great fun and really added to the story.

My biggest complaint is, that for me the blurb didn't really match the book. That last paragraph doesn't fit the vibe of the story. Sawyer didn't begin a sexual relationship with the intent to "win her over". And his big secret was only an issue for like 2 chapters and it got resolved. It upsets me that when the blurb doesn't match the book. It leaves me feeling discombobulated trying to figure out if I missed something or did someone not read the book, or did the story get changed at the last minute.

Overall, this was a quick read for me, keeping me interested and allowing me to read it in one sitting. This was a good start to a new series and I look forward to reading the next book. Hopefully the blurb will match better next time. I took away a star for the issue with the blurb, and gave this one 3 stars.

Thank you to Netgalley and Carina Press for the opportunity to read and review the book.