MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Review: Ever After by Jude Deveraux

Publisher: Penguin Random House
Date of Publication: June 23, 2015
Number of pages: 368
Cover Artist: Karen Batten & Lynn Andreozzi

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     ARe

New York Times bestselling author Jude Deveraux’s eagerly awaited third novel in her blockbuster Nantucket Brides trilogy continues the spellbinding saga of the Montgomery-Taggerts, set on an island steeped in beauty and unforgettable romance.

Life is anything but perfect for Hallie Hartley, a young physical therapist who has given up nearly everything—even her love life—for her beautiful blonde stepsister, Shelly. Though Shelly’s acting career has never taken off, she has certainly perfected the crocodile tears to get what she wants—which all too often means Hallie’s boyfriends. When Hallie arrives home early from work one fateful day, she makes two startling discoveries that will turn her life upside down: Not only has a mysterious relative left Hallie a house on Nantucket, but Shelly has been trying to steal it. Desperate to put her troubles behind her, Hallie impulsively flies to Nantucket.

New trouble, however, has already settled into Hallie’s guest room in the form of her newest client. Hallie is told that wealthy, young James Taggert has injured his leg in a skiing accident. Assuming that the devastatingly handsome man has led a charmed life, Hallie is surprised by Jamie at every turn throughout his recovery. His attentions draw her out of her shell—but he has a dark secret, and is tormented by nightmares that only her presence can keep at bay. She suspects there’s more to his injury than he’s letting on.

On this gorgeous island rich in history, magic is everywhere, even in Hallie’s own backyard. As Jamie’s relatives arrive for a wedding gala, something wonderfully unusual is in the air. There’s an aura of romance—enhanced by a pair of matchmaking ghosts and a colorful island legend. In their own little corner of the world, Jamie and Hallie unravel the timeless secrets of their own hearts, and a very special story of True Love destined to last forever after.

I have been eagerly awaiting this book and started salivating as soon as it first went up on Netgalley. I have always been a sucker for the Montgomery-Taggert families and have read most of the books in this ever evolving family saga down through the ages. And though the Montgomery's came first, I have always had a special liking for the Taggerts, so I was excited to see that this final book would be about that side of the family.

Jude Deveraux writes strong females. Females that have been battered and bruised by life and circumstances, but fight back with courage and an inner strength.  Hallie is no different. Her childhood felt very Cinderella-esque, right down to the evil step-mother and step-sister. But she kept putting one foot in front of the other, determined to have the life she wants. Until the day she found out exactly how far her step-sister would go to get what she wanted.

James Taggert. Oh how I love a man with mysteries. Hallie had her work cut out for her discovering his.  Like his 2 am nightmares that could only be soothed by sleepy kisses. Or his refusal to even discuss certain subjects. The Taggerts are all about family, and this stayed true throughout this book.  Finding out that he is one of the sons from a Taggert couple I had read about many years ago, was just the icing on the cake.

Though this story is the final book in the Nantucket Brides Trilogy, I really think it could be read as a stand alone. (But why would you?) The characters from the previous books are mentioned and even have some small roles, however the bulk of this book is about Hallie and James and the house where they are both living. As with the prior two books in the trilogy, there is some paranormal/ghost activity that plays a key part to the story. I devoured this book in one setting, staying up way past my bedtime, going 'one more chapter' till the book was done. But I regret nothing with this 5 star read.

Thanks to Penguin and Netgalley for the chance to read and review this book.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/06/review-ever-after-jude-deveraux.html