MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Audio Review: Tricks of the Trade by Laura Anne Gilman

Narrator: Romy Nordlinger
Date of Publication: September 24, 2013
Abridged or Unabridged: Unabridged
Length of Production: 10 hrs and 17 mins

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     Audible
When magic goes wrong, who are you going to call?

The name’s Torres, Bonnie Torres, and I’m a paranormal scene investigator—rooting out the truth about crimes of magic. It’s dangerous and boring and scary and fascinating. Though not everyone in the Cosa Nostradamus is happy we’re around, which can make things… tricky.

Working two cases—looking into a murder for the NYPD, and a rich man’s break-in—should be well within our abilities. But when things start getting weird in the Electric Apple, Private Unaffiliated Paranormal Investigations is stretched to the limits, trying to keep one step ahead and out of trouble. Add in rumors of a powerful creature gunning for us and it’s not just our rep on the line this time—if we don’t solve this case, everyone will suffer.

Fortunately, around here, when the going gets weird, the weird hire us.…

It has been awhile since I read the first two books in this series: Hard Magic and Pack of Lies. But as soon as I started listening, I was right back in the action. This story picks up several months following Pack of Lies.

The story opens with the team being split to tackle two separate investigations. Bonnie and Peter get assigned a "floater". Bonnie thinks that Ben assigned Peter to this case as a kind of punishment. Mostly because, although Bonnie and Ben have a mystical connection called "The Merge" and are both fighting it, he is jealous that Bonnie and Peter have a Friends with Benefits arrangement. One they are very careful to not allow to affect their working relationship with the other Pups.

Meanwhile Sharon and Nick are sent to check into break in at a Null's house. One he insists was done by someone with Talent. Interestingly enough, the group is warned that something/someone called The Roblin is in town and looking to cause trouble. But the warning is vague and it is deemed to not be a priority.

The story is told mainly through Bonnie's POV except when it was absolutely necessary for the story line and Bonnie wasn't in the scene. Since the bulk of the story revolves around Bonnie, she is our main focus.

I don't know whether I have gotten used to Romy Nordlinger's sound and style, or if she genuinely made more of an effort to differentiate between the different voices of the characters or maybe I am just developing a better ear, but I was able to distinguish characters this time around. I enjoyed the rhythm and flow of the this audiobook; it was an enjoyable listen.

There was some mention of the other series set in this world and it's main character Wren Valere.  Normally a cross series mention like this gets me excited, but alas, I haven't read this other series, though I am aware of it. Overall I really enjoyed this next chapter in PUPI and gave it 3 stars.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/07/audio-review-tricks-of-trade-laura-anne-gilman.html