MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Review: Spider's Trap by Jennifer Estep

Spider's Trap

Elemental Assassin, #13

Jennifer Estep

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Pocket Books
Date of Publication: July 28, 2015
Number of pages: 400

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     OmniLit
Keep your friends close but your enemies within stabbing distance.

One important lesson I’ve learned in the assassination business is that to be the best you have to roll with the punches. Now that I’m queen of Ashland’s underworld—by default, not by choice—a lot more punches are being thrown my way. But I suppose that’s the price of victory for taking down some of the underworld’s top dogs. Good thing I have my Ice and Stone magic to help me survive my volatile new position. Just when I think things are finally settling down, someone tries to murder me during a hush-hush underworld meeting. But the real surprise is how strangely familiar my shadowy assailant seems to be.

My job is to maintain order among killers, crooks, and thieves, and soon I’m embroiled in a bloody game where the ability to keep secrets could be the greatest superpower of all. My enemies have all sharpened their knives and laid their traps, waiting for me to fall. But this Spider weaves her own webs of death…

The number 13 is considered unlucky by many. That is so not the case for this series. Spider's Trap does have some deviation in the formula that has worked so well for all the other books - Gin isn't the primary target this time. Another difference is that Gin isn't the only one who ends up needing some serious healing. And oh how that was a scary moment! Especially with an author who does kill off main characters.

As you know, Gin has been dragging her feet over being the head of the underworld. When she finally does sit down to mediate a dispute between two of the bosses, the meeting is interrupted by a sniper/bomb combo pack. Obviously Gin starts investigating, and it becomes clear that she's wasn't the primary target... however she probably should have been. By the time Gin is done, she will proof once again that she is hard to stop and harder to kill.

We got another glimpse into Gin's past and what happened to make her the weapon she is today. Each of the books in the series has added more layers and depth to her character and this one adds an new element - we get to see a side of Fletcher we haven't seen before.

Gin continues to rely on her friends, family and her own unique code of ethics to guide her actions and decisions.  But with adding more to her collection of chosen family, that means less "screen" time for each of them individually.

The ending, oh my gosh, the ending. It totally sets up the next (and possibly final??) book. I can't believe we have to wait till next year to get it! There is every indication that it could be the most exiting so far. I gave this book 4 stars.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/07/review-spiders-trap-jennifer-estep.html