MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Heart Breaker

Heart Breaker - Harper Kincaid
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, Rule Breaker, so I was totally up for another round in Ms. Kincaid's Break On Through world. The characters in this story are connected to Lauren and Jackson from book one. As a matter of fact, they actually meet at Lauren and Jackson's Superbowl party from book one.

Sam is finally coming out the other side of the grief for her parents that has laid her low these last 7 months. Before their death, she was a bit of a player, happy to play the field, with no intentions of settling down. But now, she is looking for more, something like her parents had. Kyle would have been what she was looking for 7 months ago, but now... not so much.

Kyle is an intriguing character. He has hyperthymesia, leading to some interesting and unique quirks and foibles. I was a little disappointed in Kyle, due to some asshattedness that takes place early on. Thankfully, he did learn from it and fully redeemed himself in my eyes. Dontcha love a man that can be taught? *wink*

I liked that Sam was a strong, independent female, but she wasn't stupid with it. When she runs into some troubles and is given sound advice for her protection, she doesn't run out defying good sense. She listens and attempts to follow it. Shocking, yes? I also liked that she was doing rehab work on her home herself, showing that women can be just as capable as men. Kyle doesn't immediately try to step in and stop her from doing her thing. He supports her and protects her, but doesn't try to smother her. These two worked really well together.

Overall, this was a great read. Sam and Kyle complemented each other and made a cute couple. I am looking forward to Sam's sister and Kyle's friends story... because it is obvious there's a story brewing. I gave this book 4 stars.

Thanks to Netgalley and Samhain Publishing for the opportunity to read and review the book.