MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Great Escapes Review: A Geek Girl's Guide to Murder by Julie Anne Lindsey

Publisher: Carina Press
Date of Publication: August 31st 2015
Number of pages: 248
Word Count: 82,750

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     OmniLit
IT manager Mia Connors is up to her tortoiseshell glasses in technical drama when a glitch in the Horseshoe Falls email system disrupts security and sends errant messages to residents of the gated community. The snafu's timing couldn't be worse—Renaissance Faire season is in full swing and Mia's family's business relies on her presence.

Mia doesn't have time to hunt down a computer hacker. Her best friend has disappeared, and she finds another of her friends murdered—in her office. When the hunky new head of Horseshoe Falls security identifies Mia as the prime suspect, her anxiety level registers on the Richter scale.

Eager to clear her name, Mia moves into action to locate her missing buddy and find out who killed their friend. But her quick tongue gets her into trouble with more than the new head of security. When Mia begins receiving threats, the killer makes it clear that he's closer than she'd ever imagined.

Mia's family is gathered at a local Ren Faire, including her twin sister Bree and Bree's husband Tom. Bree is dressed as a harlot and Tom as a pirate. The study Bree references is a grant that Bree and Tom are working on concerning human sexuality. I just loved the byplay between all the family members, especially the sisters.

Excerpt:
Bree stormed to my side, boobs bouncing. The fifteen pounds she’d kept after pregnancy tested the stitching of her costume. “There you are.”

“Here I am.” I moved one palm in a circle between us . “And there you are, a whole-heck-of-a-lot of you. Aren’t you cold?”

Tom grabbed her by the waist and hauled her to his side. “I claim thee as my wench.” He lowered his voice to a whisper. “Is anyone looking?”

Dad went back to the lights, shaking his head.

“I can’t stop staring at your boobs,” I admitted.

Bree beamed. “Good. We don’t want to skew the study into traditional male/ female perspectives.” She arched her back. “Do you want to touch them?”

“Ew. No. I’m your sister, and they look exactly like mine.”

“Mine are bigger.”

“So’s your ass.”
Review:

As a self proclaimed Geek Girl myself, when I saw the title of this, I absolutely had to take a look.  When i saw it was a Cozy Mystery, I was all in, and it was fantabulous!

Mia is an IT Manager at a private gated community where her grandmother lives. She proudly admits to being a Geek, into Cosplay, Social Media and very awkward in social situations. But she's also a girly girl with a thing for shoes and bags, and though she's a techie, she freely admits that she's not a hacker... just really good with search engines. Her two best friends are guys, she named her pink mini cooper Stella, and her entire family is into Ren Faire. I couldn't help but adore Mia.

I LOVED this book. I was sucked into Mia's world and consumed this book in a single reading, unable to put it down. Knowing it was a cozy mystery, I wasn't expecting a romance, but the sparks between Mia and Jake Archer, the new head of security, were spectacular. As a matter of fact, as I neared the last pages of the book, I was baffled over how I could be so wrong about their chemistry. How could they not end up together.... right up until I saw that there would be a sequel. That's right, I didn't realize it was the first book in a series. Thank goodness! Now I am rubbing my hands together in delighted glee at the prospect of more Mia and Jake shenanigans. I gave this book 5 stars and can't wait for the next installment.

Thanks to Great Escapes Tour, Netgalley and Carina Press for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Giveaway:

Author Bio:
Julie Anne Lindsey is a multi-genre author who writes the stories that keep her up at night. She’s the author of The Patience Price Mysteries and a number of YA novels. A self-proclaimed nerd with a penchant for words and proclivity for fun, Julie lives in rural Ohio with her husband and three small children. Today, she hopes to make someone smile. One day she plans to change the world.

To connect with the author online:

Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Goodreads

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/08/review-geek-girls-guide-to-murder-julie-anne-lindsey.html