MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Quote-Tastic: The Scam by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg

Publisher: Bantam
Date of Publication: September 15, 2015
Number of pages: 304
Cover Artist: Carlos Beltran

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN    Kobo     OmniLit
Nicolas Fox is a charming con man and master thief on the run. Kate O’Hare is the FBI agent who is hot on his trail. At least that’s what everyone thinks. In reality, Fox and O’Hare are secretly working together to bring down super-criminals the law can’t touch. Criminals like brutal casino magnate Evan Trace.

Evan Trace is running a money-laundering operation through his casino in Macau. Some of his best customers are mobsters, dictators, and global terrorists. Nick and Kate will have to go deep undercover as high-stakes gamblers, wagering millions of dollars—and their lives—in an attempt to topple Trace’s empire.

It’s a scam that will take Fox and O’Hare from the Las Vegas strip, to the sun-soaked beaches of Oahu’s North Shore, and into the dark back alleys of Macau. Their only backup—a self-absorbed actor, a Somali pirate, and Kate’s father, an ex-soldier who believes a rocket launcher is the best way to solve every problem. What could possibly go wrong?
There were so many wonderfully funny moments in this book. I had a hard time choosing. These two moments are between Kate and her dad, Jake.

Quote:
The next morning Kate found her father on the hillside between Megan’s backyard and the golf course below. Jake was in the bushes, digging holes in the dirt with a hand shovel. Beside him was an open rucksack full of soda cans that had batteries, electrical wires, and what looked like dabs of clay stuck to them. She stepped off the patio and noticed a row of freshly dug, and refilled, holes in the slope.

“You aren’t planting land mines, are you?”

“Of course not,” Jake said.

“Then what are you doing?”

“I’m burying small, pressure-activated explosives in the dirt.”

“That’s a land mine.”

[...]

“Our con doesn’t involve a stampede. But there are explosives.”

“Count me in,” Jake put his things back in the rucksack, slung it over his shoulder, and stood up. “The kids can finish up this project.”

“You’ve taught them how to make land mines?”

“I wouldn’t be much of a grandfather if I didn’t.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“You can never have too many weapons,” Jake said.

“Does that mean you brought your rocket launcher?”

“It’s in the trunk of my car in case of a roadside emergency.”

“What kind of roadside emergency would require a rocket launcher?” she asked.

“You don’t want to find out and not have one handy,” Jake said. “It’s also why you should always have a paper clip in your pocket. You can do just about anything with a paper clip.”

She gave her dad a kiss on the cheek. “Don’t ever change.”

“That’s a given,” Jake said.

I also had to include this little gem between Nick and Willie. It seems Kate might just be rubbing off on Nick.

“It was right there,” she said. “I couldn’t help myself.”

“It’s your ADD.”

“Thirty-four double-D, to be exact. But you’re right, it’s really their fault,” she gave her breasts a gentle heft. “I wouldn’t have been at the mall if my bras didn’t wear out so fast.”

“I wasn’t talking about your cup size , but your undiagnosed attention deficit disorder. You have no impulse control.”

“You’re beginning to sound like Kate.”

“Well, occasionally she’s got a point. Sometimes there are easier ways to do things than breaking the law.”

“You just impersonated a lawyer.”

“This wasn’t one of those times.”

Review:

I know that as a female, I'm supposed to be into the whole girly, wildly uber-emotionally drama filled chick lit and romance genres. Um. Yeah, not so much. Don't get me wrong, I love a romance as much as the next person, but what really lights my fire is a action/adventure with a strong female lead and plenty of giggle worth dialogue. Throw in mystery, romance, whatevs, but the more heart pounding scenes to be found, the more I like it. I think that's why my favorite novels include some kind of mystery or suspense and if you can make me laugh, I'm sold. This series just totally pushes all the right buttons. Hilarious dialogue, Check. Over-the-Top Adventure, Check. Kick Your Ass Female lead, Check.

There was a lot to like about this book, and I just got done giving you my top 3 reasons. But there is so much more. Like the interactions between Kate and her dad Jake, the interesting locations and stellar and elaborate cons, not to mention the sexual tension between Kate and Nick.  Up till now there really hasn't been a cliffhanger, so when the authors decided to leave us with one, they went all out. I hit that last page with a gasp and a loud WTH! Not what I was expecting, to say the least. So now the count down must begin for the next book... *grumpf*

Is there a lot of depth and literary meaning to be had in this series? Probably not. That doesn't change the fact that they are a fun means of escapism for a few hours, that leave me feeling upbeat and usually giggling over a clever bit of dialogue for days or even weeks afterward. Once I started reading this, I couldn't put it down... except for the couple of three times I had to take deep breaths or grab my inhaler because I laughed myself into an asthma attack. These books just keep getting better and better and was another 5 star read for me.

Thank you to Netgalley and Random House Publishing for the opportunity to read and review the book.

This meme is about sharing your favorite quotes and the books they come from!
Hosted by Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup.

Everyone is welcome to join in: Readers, Bloggers & Authors.

Just grab the button and link back to Herding Cats and Burning Soup.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/10/quote-tastic-scam-janet-evanovich-lee-goldberg.html