MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Review: The Conquering Dark by Clay and Susan Griffith

Publisher: Del Ray
Date of Publication: July 28, 2015
Number of pages: 354
Cover Artist: Gene Mollica

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     OmniLit

The Crown and Key Society face their most terrifying villain yet: Gaios, a deranged demigod with the power to destroy Britain.

To avenge a centuries-old betrayal, Gaios is hell-bent on summoning the elemental forces of the earth to level London and bury Britain. The Crown and Key Society, a secret league consisting of a magician, an alchemist, and a monster-hunter, is the realm’s only hope—and to stop Gaios, they must gather their full strength and come together as a team, or the world will fall apart.

But Simon Archer, the Crown and Key’s leader and the last living magician-scribe, has lost his powers. As Gaios searches for the Stone of Scone, which will give him destructive dominion over the land, monster-hunter Malcolm MacFarlane, alchemist extraordinaire Kate Anstruther, gadget geek Penny Carter, and Charlotte the werewolf scramble to reconnect Simon to his magic before the world as they know it is left forever in ruins.

Don't you love when a book opens on an action scene? It drags you into the story from the get go and sets the tone of the whole book.  This is the third and final book in the trilogy and please, please read the other two books. It's NOT a stand alone, don't try to make it one. Trust me, if you want to really know what's going on, you need the background from the first two books. And this book opens with the assumption that you are prepped and ready to go from the first page.

There was tons of stuff going on in this book.  Not only do they have to find and stop Gaios, but Simon is still cut off from the aether following the conclusion of book two.  On the plus side, the whole gang has fought together enough to not only form a team, but to become a real family. Which makes what happen in the conclusion of this book, incredibly bittersweet. Upon re-reading my previous reviews, my big complaint was that I was having trouble connecting with the characters. Well, by the time I finished, I was connected. Oh, boy was I connected. Looking back, I could pinpoint exactly when it happened. But telling might be a touch too spoilery. So let's just say that I connected about the same time that Malcolm figured it out too.

If the action was big in the previous two books, this one took it to a whole nother level. The fight scenes were inventive and kept me on the edge of my seat. You will want to make sure you have some uninterrupted time with this exciting conclusion. This trilogy ended on a 5 star read.

Thanks to Netgalley and Del Ray for the opportunity to read and review the book.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/10/review-conquering-dark-clay-susan-griffith.html