MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Review: A Ghostly Murder by Tonya Kappes

A Ghostly Murder

Ghostly Southern Mystery, #4

Tonya Kappes

Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publisher: Witness
Date of Publication: September 29, 2015
Number of pages: 352

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     OmniLit

Emma Lee Raines knows there's only one cure for a bad case of murder!

I told you I was sick, reads the headstone above Mamie Sue Preston's grave. She was the richest woman in Sleepy Hollow, Kentucky, and also the biggest hypochondriac. Ironic, considering someone killed her-proprietor of the Eternal Slumber Funeral Home, know all this? Because Mamie Sue's ghost told her, that's how! And she's offering big bucks to find the perp.

The catch is, Mamie Sue was buried by the Raines family's archrival, Burns Funeral Home. Would the Burnses stoop to framing Emma Lee's granny? With an enterprising maid, a penny-pinching pastor, and a slimy Lexington lawyer all making a killing off Mamie Sue's estate, Emma Lee needs a teammate-like her dreamboat boyfriend, Sheriff Jack Henry Ross. Because ith millions at stake, snooping around is definitely bad for Emma Lee's health.

This is the fourth book in the Ghostly Southern Mystery series. All four books have been released this year, starting in March.  Since this one seems to be the last, at least for the immediate future, they are a perfect length for binge reading the series so far.  And as the events in the books take place over just a few months, the ending of one leads right into the beginning of the next.

The tension between Emma Lee and her sister Charlotte Rae has steadily grown over the series thus far and eventually comes to a head that you won't want to miss. Additionally, Jack Henry has a big decision to make, leaving Emma Lee in uncertain about their future. Throw in the usual antics of Zula Mae and Emma has her hands full in this installment.

This is the book where Emma Lee really starts to figure out how to help her murdered clients and not worry so much about the "Funeral Trauma" label. With a second body turning up and a third person in a coma, Emma Lee has to figure things out quickly... or she might be next.

One of the things that I liked about this story is how much Emma Lee has come to terms with her "Inbetweener" status.  She has gained confidence in both herself and her abilities. This is the first of the four books that didn't end with a set up for the next book, but I am hoping that we will see more of Emma Lee in the future.  This was a fun read and I gave it 3 stars.

Special thanks to Edelweiss and Witness for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/10/review-ghostly-murder-tonya-kappes.html