MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

@GoddessFish Interview: Savage Magic by Judy Teel

Publisher: Judy P Mills
Date of Publication: June 6th 2015
Number of pages: 240
Cover Artist: For the Love of Reading Cover Design

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo
A deadly disease from an unknown origin…

Addison Kittner and ex-FBI agent Cooper Daine arrive at Bone Clan expecting a warm welcome. Instead they’re imprisoned and placed under quarantine, where they discover that the werewolf mountain Clans are being decimated by a deadly plague which can’t be cured.

An old obligation that changes everything…

With only a few days to live, Cooper’s brother, Alpha of Bone Clan, asks Cooper to fulfill his promise, one that’s crucial to their Clan’s survival. But if he does, Cooper risks loosing Addison. Forever.

An ancient creature bred for genocide…

Determined to stop the plague and cure Cooper’s brother, Addison defies Clan law and sneaks away to an ancient ruin which might hold the key. There she discovers an unexpected link to her past and inadvertently calls forth an immortal monster that will destroy the paranormal races protecting humanity if it can’t be stopped.

But as Cooper and Addison battle to stop the annihilation of the Clans and the forces trying to tear their bond apart, something even more powerful and deadly gathers just out of sight…

And prepares to strike.

Excerpt:

Directly across from us, the gates of Hell rose up — the doorway to Cooper’s hometown, so to speak.

Thirty-foot high stone walls stretched to the right and left until they curved out of sight. Standing between were the gates, made entirely of bones. Thick bones of varying prehistoric-level sizes that looked like they’d come from animals that had died out thousands of years ago, if they had ever existed outside of a fantasy book.

Two nasty looking Weres stood on guard duty, a female who looked like she ate scrap metal and pooped nails, and a bald guy who was built like a professional wrestler, or maybe a bull. His shaved head was covered with tribal tattoos that ran down his neck and over his arms to his wrists and he glowered at me as he stepped aside to let us pass.

Huge and sweeping, the Bone Clan fortress looked like it was designed to withstand a lifetime of sieges without batting an eye. And it was nothing compared to the sheer face of the mountain at its back and the three tiers carved into it.

“Welcome to Cha’dana.” Bald Guy shoved me in the middle of the back, forcing me to stumble forward. “Keep moving.”

The wind swept down from the cliff and rushed over us, sending a chill of apprehension across my skin. At least twelve times the height of the tallest building I’d ever seen in the city, the stronghold was beautiful, inspiring and terrifying all at the same time.

So much for finding safe haven with Cooper’s Clan.

Interview:

Today, we welcome Judy Teel to Musings and Ramblings. Let's all give a big Geeky welcome!

It’s great to be here. Hi everyone!

Let's start with some writer specific questions before moving into the fun stuff. That way everyone can really get to know the person behind the writer. We will finish things off with a round of Think Fast. Ready for the interrogation to begin?

Absolutely. Lay it on me!

Writing Specific

Is your writing style more plotter or pantser?
I'm a pantser, which got me into a lot of trouble for a long time. I’d start a book with some exciting idea or character and four chapters in would completely stall out because I’d written myself into a corner. Some years ago, I reevaluated my approach and hunted down the most efficient, workable ways to plot that I could find. Now I never start writing until I have a solid story outline. Then I indulge my pantser nature within that framework to my heart’s content.

When is your favorite time/place to write? Do you write structured or patchworked?
I try to write in the morning, but I admit I have trouble warming up when I first sit down. I usually have to spend the first half hour or so addressing email and catching up on Social Media before I’m ready to jump into my current project. After that, I work until I meet my page or word count goal for the day. I’m a structured, linear writer, although I've toyed with the idea of jumping around depending on what scene I feel like tackling. But so far, I seem to need to follow my characters chronologically through their adventures and character growth. Makes it easier for me to keep everything straight.

How involved are you with Social Media and self-promotion?
I like to stay involved with Social Media and only moderately with self-promotion. I always announce new books to my Readers List (http://eepurl.com/bhKySv if you’re interested in joining), but folks signed up to that love the series, so they’re always excited to know about new releases. I really prefer building relationships with people rather than selling things to them. Taste in entertainment fiction is very personal, and I don't feel comfortable nagging people to buy my books when what I write might not be what they enjoy.

What one thing do you wish someone had told you before you started writing?
I actually was given the best advice before I started writing, but for a long time I didn’t believe it. It was, “Finish the book. Write another, and finish that one. Rinse and repeat.” Something magical happens in your mind when you make yourself write a book from start to finish. You discover things about yourself as a storyteller and about the story that you can’t get to any other way.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
I had a person in a critique group many years ago throw down the chapter I’d submitted and tell me I was never going to get it right. The biggest compliment I've ever had I recently discovered by accident on Goodreads. A reader posted how much she loved Savage Magic, how deeply she’d come to care about Addison and Cooper, and how much she’d felt everything they felt in the story. She perfectly summarized why I wanted to become a writer and I choked up when I read it.

Fun Stuff

What was the last movie/concert/show that you saw?
One of my brothers and his wife came down to visit us in July and we all went out to see the movie "Spy" with Melissa McCarthy. There was some crude humor and the F-bomb got dropped a bit more than necessary in some cases, but other than that it was a really funny movie. The fight scene in the kitchen was one of the best comedic action scenes I've seen in a long time.

What was the name of the last book you read?
For leisure reading, it was A Rancher For Their Mom (well-written and very sweet). And for nonfiction it was Productivity Hacks For Entrepreneurs (also good). I’m always looking for ways to work smarter and I love relaxing with a good book in the evenings.

You are going to be stranded on a deserted island and bring 3 luxury items. What would they be?
I’d take a fully stocked and furnished mansion, an iPhone 6, and Chris Hemsworth.

Pick two celebrities to be your parents. Who are they and why?
Darn, I shouldn’t have taken Chris to that island. I’ll have to go with Robert Downey Jr. and Susan, then. Good genes, money, and family-oriented – sounds like a great childhood to me!

What would we find in your refrigerator right now?
Fruits, vegetables and leftovers from going out to eat. Everyone’s dietary needs and wants are all over the place in my family, so consistently coming up with meals that please and suite everyone is tough. More fun to go out.

Think Fast

AM or PM? AM. I’m a morning person. 9:30 PM hits and I’m done.
Summer or Winter? Winter. I live in the South. In the summer, the mosquitoes can zero in on their next victim from a mile away.
Coffee or Tea? Tea. I’m a hoarder. Seriously. I could start my own tea shop.
Cake or Pie? I love pie. But I love cake too. No, pie. Cake! Argh!
Car or Truck? Car. I’ve had the same minivan for 14 years. I’m ready for something that’s easier to park.

Thanks for coming by and spending some time with us. Any final words of wisdom to pass along?

I really enjoyed the interview. Thank you for having me, and thank you to everyone who stopped by!

Giveaway:

Author Bio:

Judy Teel was born in Virginia and moved to North Carolina just before middle school. She's a fiction author and novelist writing in the dystopian urban fantasy genre. Her stories deliver mystery with some thriller elements, a kick-butt heroine with a large dash of snark in her, a bit more than a touch of romance with a guy that makes readers' hearts beat a little faster, and a wild ride full of action and emotion from start to finish.

Shifty Magic is permanently free on all platforms and Undercover Magic is free as a thank you gift for anyone who signs up on my readers list: http://judyteel.com/my-free-book/

To connect with the author online:

Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest |  tumbler | Amazon | Goodreads

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2015/10/interview-savage-magic-judy-teel.html