MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Pane and Suffering

Pane and Suffering - Cheryl Hollon I always stop and take a look at books set in my home state of Florida, especially ones set outside of Miami. This one is set in St. Petersburg, a city a mere 2 hour drive from my home; a city that I am familiar with. Of course, I had to take a closer look. I am so glad that I did.

Savannah has come home after her father died of a heart attack. While she found it surprising that a man who trained for marathons and had no health complaints the last time they had spoken, she was in shock and just accepted this pronouncement. After all, she was just 2 weeks away from her debut showing in Seattle and had to deal with the sale of the family business, as well as settling her father's estate. Then her father's assistant and the man she was planning on selling the business to died of a heart attack as well. Two hearts in as many weeks? Savannah is her father's daughter, and she doesn't trust that much coincidence. Then she finds the message from her father telling her that if he is dead she's in danger as well. But does it have to do with the glass shop of his work as a cryptologist during World War II? Savannah has to find and follow the clues that he has left for her before the police arrest an innocent young man.

There was a lot to take in during this first book by a new author besides glass making. Everything from Asperger's to geocaching to pet therapy dogs to craft beers. Throw in a set up for a possible romance later down the line, as well as some slightly questionable police procedures and it felt like the author might have set the bar a bit high when it comes time for the second novel. It will be interesting to see if she can pull it off. I enjoyed seeing my local Florida set in a favorable light and gave this book 4 stars.

Thanks to Netgalley, Kensington and Great Escapes for the opportunity to read and review this book.