MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

My Bluegrass Baby

My Bluegrass Baby - Molly Harper, Amanda Ronconi I've been a fan of Molly Harper since reading her stand alone And One Last Thing... So I couldn't help but give a bit of small squeal when I heard a reference to that book in this one. It's not the first time that the author has added some small reference to one of her other books/series, but I still get a thrill when I recognize it. It's like a bit of a wink or a nod from the author to those in the know.

As with the Jane Jameson and Half-Moon Hallow series', this book is set in Kentucky. Many years ago, I once spent almost a year in Lexington. I had a fabulous time and met some wonderful people. Reading about the interesting people and unique culture of the state always reminds me of that time. This is especially true with this book, as the setting deals with tourism and the many facets of Kentucky life.

I was a bit surprised that this book didn't end with a definitive "Happy Ending". As a romance, I was expecting the HEA, but what I got instead was a Happy for Now ending. Spoiler Alert: there wasn't even a marriage proposal to help tie up the ending. Yes, Sadie and Josh were together, but I still had questions that needed answers and issues I wanted resolved. I am hopeful that their story line will have more resolution in the next book, maybe tied into that story.

Amanda Ronconi was a new to me narrator and I thought she did a fantastic job. Doing multiple variations on an accent can be tough, but she did a great job. I enjoyed her pacing and emoting as well. She kept my attention on the story, even when I was doing other things. I can't wait to start the next book knowing she's going to be there with me.

I always enjoy Molly Harper's books, now in audio format as well. Her heroines tend toward the spunky and snarky, and I know I can always count on great dialogue. If you are looking for a quick, fun read, and don't mind an open ending this should be on your list. I gave it 4 stars.