MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Girl Meets Class

Girl Meets Class - Karin Gillespie I have become quite a fan of Henery Press, having discovered some really awesome authors through them. So when I got the chance to try another author, I didn't even think twice, but signed right up. I really should have taken a minute to have read the fine print. I was looking forward to another fantastic cozy mystery, and what I got was Southern Chick Lit. Not that there's anything wrong with that mind, it just took a bit for me to figure out that no dead body was going to show up anytime soon. (Yeah, I am apparently slow like that. *facepalm*)

Now, I am going to be very blunt and tell you that in the beginning, I didn't like Toni Lee. As a matter of fact, there came a point in the book where I put it down and stepped away from it; it just wasn't doing it for me... (Yes, that was also shortly after I realized that at about halfway through, no one was going to end up dead and that this was not the genre I had been anticipating.) However... See, I thought about it, and decided to go back in and give the book a little bit longer, without my brain being stuck in "cozy" mode. And the next thing I knew, I was hooked into the story. It started to pull at me and I became committed to finding out just what was going on at the school... Just like Toni Lee herself finally did.

I can't say that I ended up bonding with her character. After all, she was a real piece of work there for awhile. But I can say that by the end, I feel she was both redeemable and redeemed. I could concede that there were some valid reasons to how she ended up the way she did. Here was a character who had true growth during the course of the story and I could be happy for her happy ending. Needless to say, I was torn about a rating until I realized that the author took a character that I actively didn't like and turned her into someone I was cheering for at the end. For me, that is the mark of a great author and a good read. I would read this author again. I gave this 3 'I Liked It' stars. I

Thanks to Great Escapes, Netgalley and Henery Press for the opportunity to read and review the book.