MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Diner Knock Out

Diner Knock Out - Terri L. Austin It's been awhile since we got a new Rose Strickland novel. Two long years, as a matter of fact. In the first three books, Rose mostly got involved with murders and mysteries through no real fault of her own. They just kind of happened around her. In this book, Rose is actively looking for them, by working a second job with Andre Thomas, former cop turned Private Investigator.

When a potential client comes into the office while Rose is - once again - relegated to staying behind and running background screenings, she can't help herself. She ends up taking a case - probably pro-bono. What starts as a simple missing persons case quickly leads into illegal gambling, an underground fight ring, drugs and murder. And of course, Rose's crime lord boyfriend, Sullivan is right there in the middle of all that illegal activity. To top it off, Rose's bestie Roxy has been hanging out more and more with Sugar, a bodacious burlesque dancer with a fashion sense nearly as outrageous as Roxy's, Ma is preoccupied with a man hunt and Axton is stressing over a girl at work. Without her usual backup, Rose has to use the tools she has learned from Andre, as well as her gut instincts to get to the bottom of what happened.

There was a lot of emphasis on relationships in this book. Not just between Rose and Sullivan. Yes, Rose's various relationships, be they friend, family member or co-worker, had some transition this book. Additionally, relationships between other characters were examined, discussed and analysed, everything from friends to family to lovers. I think Rose discovered a lot about herself this book, both in how she sees herself and how she relates to others. I like the direction the series is headed. Here's hoping we don't have to wait another two years for the next installment! This was a 4 star read for me.

Thanks to Netgalley, Henery Press and Great Escapes for the opportunity to read and review this book.