MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Review: On His Watch by Katie Ruggle

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Date of Publication: January 5, 2016
Number of pages: 100
Cover Artist: Dawn Adams

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN

Free January 5th
In the remote Rocky Mountains, lives depend on the Search & Rescue brotherhood. But in a place this far off the map, trust is hard to come by and secrets can be murder...

Ice rescue diver Derek Warner never meant to be a hero. But when two little girls go missing, he's the first in line to bring them home-even if that means scouring the wilderness with the woman he once loved and lost, Artemis Rey.

Artemis has never stopped wanting Derek. Now, racing to find the girls before it's too late, minutes turn to hours. Night falls. Old flames rekindle. And a danger grows in the darkest wilderness that may be more than even the Search and Rescue brotherhood can hope to face...

On His Watch is the pulse-pounding prequel to the riveting Search & Rescue series by Katie Ruggle.

Information:

This new romantic suspense series, by debut author Katie Ruggle, is set around a Search & Rescue brotherhood. The prequel novella, On His Watch is free and available now. Hold Your Breath, the first of the four books (available April 5th), is described as action packed, romantic, and utterly pulse pounding. Ruggle uses her background as a survivalist to weave a sexy story filled with suspense and emotion against the backdrop of the Rockies.

There is a special preorder campaign going on for Hold Your Breath, where you can receive a Search & Rescue book light and be entered in to win a fabulous gourmet winter reading gift basket from Le Chocolat! Click here for details on how to enter.

Review:
So we can all agree that the cover is definitely eye catching. And it did exactly what it was supposed to do, catch my eye.  So then I read the blurb and that further peaked my interest. Well, not so much read the entire blurb as much as key phrases - Search & Rescue, Ice Rescue Diver, Hero. I had to grab it.

At 100 pages, it's not a full story, but it's got enough room to let you get to know the characters. Derek and Artemis (love the name) story is a second chance at love - mainly due to Derek's bone-headedness years prior.  There is some suspense going on, though it is short term it was intense at time. The ground work was laid for the next book as well as hints at an overreaching series arc. Overall, I must say that I enjoyed this prequel to what looks to be a promising series. Even though I don't normally give a high rating on a novella, I giving this book 4 stars.

Thanks to Netgalley and Sourcebooks Casablanca for the opportunity to read and review the book.

Author Bio:

A fan of the old adage “write what you know”, Katie Ruggle lived in an off-grid, solar- and wind-powered house in the Rocky Mountains until her family lured her back to Minnesota. When she’s not writing, Katie rides horses, shoots guns (not while riding, although that would be awesome), cross-country skis (badly) and travels to warm places where she can scuba dive. A graduate of the Police Academy, Katie received her ice-rescue certification and can attest that the reservoirs in the Colorado mountains really are that cold. A fan of anything that makes her feel like a bad-ass, she has trained in Krav Maga, boxing and gymnastics.

To connect with the author online:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2016/01/review-on-his-watch-katie-ruggle.html