MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Guest Post: Rebel Cowboy by Nicole Helm

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Date of Publication: January 5th 2016
Number of pages: 384
Cover Artist: Blake Marrow

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo
UNDER A BIG SKY
For hotshot NHL star Dan Sharpe, hockey isn't just his job-it's his everything. But when claims of cheating get him bounced from the ice, he finds himself feeling lost. Everyone thinks he's crazy for taking on his grandfather's ramshackle Montana ranch, but hey, he's Dan Sharpe: how hard can it be?

As it turns out? Plenty hard.

Mel Shaw has been fighting tooth and nail to keep her family from falling apart. The last thing she needs is a distraction, but taking a job as some city slicker's consultant may be her only chance to save the land she loves. But she never expected someone like Dan to come roaring into her life, and it doesn't take long for Mel to realize this hockey-star-turned-cowboy has the power to upend her carefully ordered world-and heart-for good.

Guest Post:

Have Laptop, Will Travel

Ever since I started writing stories in elementary school, where I sat down to put my imagination to work has been very dependent on my life. When I was a little girl, I would write my books with pencil on looseleaf on whatever hard surface I could find. In middle and high school I got the old family word processor moved to my room. When I was eighteen, I saved and saved until I could buy myself a laptop.

Since then, I’ve written any time I’ve had a lap or desk to perch my computer on (there might have been a few times when I wrote a few scenes in my notebooks during class as a student, too). But, I’ve never had an ‘office’ or a dedicated place just for writing. Even now as a professional writer, my son’s school papers are stacked on the corner of my desk, important papers are filed in my little shelving system on top of said desk, which sits in the dining room where I can be in the middle of anything.

I’ve adapted to every change in my life, from my own room with my parents and sisters, to a dorm room with roommates, to a house with my husband and two little boys. So, even now, I don’t have just one go-to spot to write. Where I am depends on the day, the amount of people in my house, and what I’m working on.

Half the time these days, you can find me dictating my books into a wireless headset. Which means while I’m speaking my books into words, I can also get some of my mom duties done and not feel like my house is always a hideous mess. (Okay, it’s always a hideous mess—but maybe a tiny bit less of one). I can walk around the house and write to my heart’s content—as long as it’s a day when the boys are out of the house.

Other days you can find me walking in place as I type. I’ve tried to stop sitting so much, so when I’m working on something that’s too difficult to dictate or the house is full of noise, I’ve got my laptop up on a box on my kitchen counter while I try to get my steps for the day in. I’ve found that changing the positions that I type in helps my wrists, my back, and keeps me from wanting to curl up and nap on days when the writing is going slow.

But sometimes, it’s nice to ‘come home’ which means sitting at my desk. Even though it’s not in its own room, it’s one of the few things I can manage to keep clean and organized in my house. It’s where I keep all my calendars, my lists of books to write and books coming out. This is where I sit when I know I need to keep focused on deadlines and responsibilities.

My favorite part of sitting at my desk is being surrounded by some of my favorite things. I have the print books that I’ve written thus far lined up, bracketed by a jar with a cow on it, and a mug with a rooster on it (I have a thing about farm animals). My wooden llama—a gift from a friend when I sold REBEL COWBOY—watches over the books. He’s very stately. A picture of me with my grandma, the notebook where I keep the themes for all of my books collected.

And most importantly, a chair with a nice cushion!
I wrote most of REBEL COWBOY at my desk or in my bed, I’ve written this blog post at my kitchen counter walking in place. But it really doesn’t matter where I am, as long as I’m writing, I’m a happy girl.

Author Bio:
Nicole Helm grew up with her nose in a book and a dream of becoming a writer. Luckily, after a few failed career choices, a husband, and two kids, she gets to pursue that dream.

Nicole lives in Missouri with her husband and two sons, and writes her novels one baby's nap at a time. She's slightly (okay, totally) addicted to Twitter, loves watching the St. Louis Cardinals, and her dream is to someday own a barn.

To connect with the author online:

Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2016/01/guest-post-rebel-cowboy-nicole-helm.html