MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Great Escapes Guest Post: Murder and Other Unnatural Disasters by Lida Sideris

Date of Publication: September 30, 2015
Number of pages: 332
Word Count: 88,560
Cover Artist: Debbie Taylor

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     OmniLit
Watch out Southern California! There's a new entertainment attorney in town and she's got game. Only problem is, it’s not the one she should be playing. Corrie Locke belongs behind a desk, not behind a Glock. She should be taking VIP calls, not nosing around a questionable suicide. Instead, she's hot on the trail of a murderer.

Luckily, she's the daughter of a late, great private eye and she's inherited his love of sleuthing…and illegal weaponry. It doesn't help matters that her gene for caution is a recessive one. Corrie finds herself in the center of a murder case, unearthing suspects in shocking places. With a cold-blooded killer on the loose, Corrie will have to up her game, or die trying.

Guest Post:

The Dream Job Journey
by Lida Sideris

My heroine, a newly minted lawyer, nabs a dream job in a movie studio... with strings attached. I once had the same job, without the strings thankfully, but unlike my heroine, my job didn't exactly fall into my lap.

Prior to graduating law school, I was fortunate in obtaining an almost perfect position working for an extraordinary boss. I worked for a company that represented movie studios in labor negotiations. There was just one problem. I disliked labor law like I disliked finding a stray hair wedged in my pancakes. After graduation, my boss generously allowed me to continue to work for her while I hunted down the right job.

I desired a spot as business affairs counsel for a studio. My securing this position seemed as likely as my growing a beanstalk, climbing up, and sharing a mug of hot chocolate with Jack’s giant. To succeed in my endeavor, I needed either: an Ivy League degree, gilt-edged law firm experience, inside knowledge of the secret fetish of an important movie executive, or willingness to engage in unmentionable activities.

Not one to stand still, I opted to take virtually every business affairs attorney in town to lunch in an attempt to display my sparkling personality and to convince them that I was the chosen one. I ended up with empty pockets.

Soon after, almost everyone I knew advised me to seek work in another field of law. Business affairs jobs were scarce. And one needed plenty of solid experience. Unfortunately, like money, experience didn’t grow on trees.

My boss suggested I go where all newly minted attorneys go when first seeking employment: the government. Specifically, the District Attorney’s office. Even my dear mother seconded that motion, reminding me of the splendid benefits, as did friends, former professors, and my hair stylist, though she said the head DA was a terrible tipper.

But my sights were fixed. I didn’t want to work anywhere else. Picture an incredible craving for an ice cream sundae and settling instead for cold mashed potatoes. I didn’t want to stop trying. Yet, I caved in and arranged an interview at the DA’s office. It did not go well. Let’s just say, a dust-laden legal treatise accidentally landed on the assistant DA’s foot with a fairly strong downward force, mid interview. I left knowing I’d not be back.

Despite the rumblings from all that chances of getting the job I wanted were slim, I snagged my perfect position a few months later. Success had been lingering just around the corner, appearances be damned.

The majority of writers know the sting of rejection well, myself included. But we manage to lick our wounds and carry on. How many of our dreams, large or small, are dashed or sidetracked, due to well-meaning advice or criticism? Ultimately, the voice we must listen to is our own. Life is filled with good intentions. And you know where that road can lead.

Giveaway:

Author Bio:

Like her heroine, Corrie Locke, Lida Sideris worked as an entertainment attorney for a film studio. Unlike her heroine, she did not get blackmailed into investigating the suspicious death of a co-worker. Lida resides in the northern tip of Southern California with her family, their rescue shepherds, and a flock of uppity chickens. She was one of two national recipients of the Helen McCloy/Mystery Writers of America scholarship for mystery writing.

To connect with the author online:

Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2016/01/guest-post-murder-other-unnatural-lida-sideris.html