MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Quote-Tastic: Driven by Kelley Armstrong (@kelleyarmstrong)

Driven

Otherworld Stories, #13.6

Kelley Armstrong

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Subterranean Press
Date of Publication: December 5, 2015
Number of pages: 232
Cover Artist: Xavièr Daumarie

Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN    Kobo
Cains are known for being big, brutish and not-too-bright. The mutt clan embodies all the supernatural world’s worst stereotypes about werewolves. But not even the Cains deserve to be hunted down and skinned like animals.

When young Davis Cain comes to the Pack for help, Alpha Elena Michaels can’t refuse him. It isn’t about morality or justice. It’s about not letting anyone think they can do this to werewolves and get away with it.

But Elena is also dealing with the Pack’s homegrown monster—Malcolm Danvers, onetime enforcer, full-time psycho. Malcolm is now under Elena’s control, as part of the most difficult decision she’s had to make as leader. But if she has to let Malcolm in, she’s going to make full use of him…and the best person to catch monsters is one who knows exactly how they think.

This is the start of the book. I choose it to illustrate the fact that if you aren't familiar with this series, you should NOT start with this book. There is too much history to dive in here. Go back to the beginning of the Underworld series and work your way forward. You really won't regret it.

Quote:
“Fuck this shit,” Clay muttered as he surveyed the landscape. He might have been referring to the immediate situation, but those three words summed up everything about this predicament.

Two months ago Malcolm Danvers had called to tell us he’d killed two mutts who’d been after our kids. He didn’t want a thank you or any other reward. He wanted back into the Pack.

Malcolm Danvers. The guy who’d made his son’s— Jeremy’s— life a living hell. The guy who went into selfimposed exile when Jeremy beat him in the Alpha race. For over twenty years, we’d thought Malcolm was dead. Then he turned up, a bigger sociopath than ever. One we could not kill. Could not even catch. Round and round we went, until Malcolm himself said, “Fuck this shit.” And, “I want back in.”

Let him back into the Pack, he said. Where we could keep an eye on him. Where he’d be a threat only to our enemies.

With that, he put me in the worst predicament I’d faced as Alpha. An unwinnable situation.

Fuck this shit, indeed.

Review:
I fell for this series back in 2004, when the urban fantasy genre was still new and shiny. The first 4 book in the Otherworld series were out. The first were 2 about Elena, Clay and the werewolves, while the next 2 were about Paige, Lucas and magic. For awhile the series flirted with Paranormal Romance, each book mainly telling the story of a couple in this wonderful world of paranormal creatures, all intertwined with one another. Each book drove not only that couple's story forward, but the story of the entire universe. As a new book in the series hasn't been published since 2012, it looks to be over.

Since that time, however, the author has been diving into short stories and novellas, continuing to tell the stories of some of it's more memorable characters, namely the wolves. They have been branched out under the Otherworld Stories moniker. Many of the more recent single titles in print, are only available in print in limited hardbound books, illustrated and numbered. If you are more interested in just the verbage, the ebook versions are much less expensive but don't contain the illustrations.

I admire that the author is continuing this wonderful universe for those, like myself, who can't seem to get enough. I really didn't want things to end, and now they don't have to. If you, like myself, wanted more Elena & Clay, you should take a look a the Otherworld Stories series. Just remember, these really aren't stand alone books. If you try to start here, you are missing a vast and elaborate backstory that you really shouldn't miss. This was a great addition in the continuation of the series. I gave it 4 stars.

This meme is about sharing your favorite quotes and the books they come from!
Hosted by Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup.
Everyone is welcome to join in: Readers, Bloggers & Authors.
Just grab the button and link back to Herding Cats and Burning Soup.
Source: http://www.musingsandramblings.net/2016/01/quote-tastic-driven-kelley-armstrong.html