MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

The Curse Keepers

The Curse Keepers - Denise Grover Swank I am a huge fan of Urban Fantasy, so when I saw this on Netgalley, I requested it because it looked like something I would enjoy. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I rarely DNF books because, firstly, I only read things that I think I will enjoy and secondly because I hate to leave a story unfinished. With this one, I just couldn't get excited about the characters and when I found myself doing housework rather than read the book, I knew it was time to call it done.

We first meet Ellie as she is working as a waitress in the local restaurant. It is a place that is usually populated by tourists. Ellie splits her time waiting tables and working at her family's local Bed and Breakfast. Ellie lives in Roanoke Virginia, near the site of the Lost Colony. Her family history states that she is a Curse Keeper. The direct descendant of one of 2 people who really knew what happened to the colony. Family legend states that when the 2 Curse Keepers touch, the Colony will reappear and they will have exactly 7 days to close a gate and keep their world from being destroyed.

I really wanted to like this book. I truly did. But I just couldn't stand Ellie or Collin, the other Curse Keeper. Ellie thinks that when she told her best friend about the legend, that her mother died as a result. Currently her father has Alzheimer's and they are barely hanging on to the family Bed and Breakfast. Collin on the other had takes it all more seriously, but comes off as a cross between know-it-all jerk and a conman. They are supposed to be working together, neither one of them are telling the other the truth or being straight with each other. Watching the lies and deceptions just got old fast. Quite frankly, I just didn't like either one of them and at the half way mark, I gave up trying.

This of course is only my opinion. If the book sounds interesting to you, I encourage you to get it and check it out for yourself. My rating stands at 1 star.