MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Lowcountry Bombshell

Lowcountry Bombshell - Susan M. Boyer This is the second book in the Liz Talbot Mystery series by Susan M Boyer. I just finished the first book, Lowcountry Boil and was very excited to dive right into the second book. Liz was a complicated and complex character who's idiosyncrasies made her fun to read about. The last book ended with a bit of a romantic cliffhanger. Michael, the guy that got away and the main reason she hadn't returned to Stella Maris for so many years, was free of his wife, Liz's cousin. He now seems ready to commit to Liz. But Liz has finally started looking at him through the eyes of an adult, and not the teenager she once was. Liz has also realized that she has an attraction to Nate, her partner and former brother-in-law, that shows signs of being reciprocated. What will she do?

This story starts about 3 months after the end of the last book. Liz gets a call about a new client by the name of Calista McQueen. As it turns out Calista is the spitting image of Marilyn Monroe. When she was born on the same date, at the same time as Marilyn, her mother named her Norma Jean and proceeded to do her utmost to make Calista's life mimic her namesake's. So much so that Calista eventually took off and changed her name to get away from the pressure of 'being' Marilyn. Now with the anniversary of Marilyn's death drawing near, Calista is scared she might be killed and it made to look like a suicide. All the signs point to it, as she is being subtly harassed and threatened in her own home. Calista wants Liz to keep her alive past August 4th, the anniversary of Marilyn's death.

Oh, how much I liked this book. Liz retained that quintessential something that made me like her so much in book 1. I try not to be too spoilery, but I just have to say how glad I was that the author didn't draw out the love triangle aspect between Liz, Michael and Nate. A decision was made and Liz showed no signs of flip-flopping. It wouldn't be in her nature and the author stayed true to that. There was plenty of skulduggery and action to be found, as well as a chance to see Liz letting her hair down. The more I find out about Liz, the more I like her. We had a return of Liz's family, friends and Colleen, the Stella Marris Island Guardian. Liz's family gets crazier, more eccentric the more you get to know them and it makes for fabulous reading. This is well worth 4 stars on Goodreads.