MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

The Witches of Dark Root

The Witches of Dark Root - April Aasheim This is the first book in the Daughters of Dark Root series by April Aasheim. I had never heard of this author before the book tour from Bewitching Blog Tours, but the blurb sounded intriguing. I will say that it was a lot more Ya-Ya sisterhood than Practical Magic, though from my perspective.

The story opens with a prologue. It's February 2005 and Maggie Mae Maddock wants out of the little town she has grown up in, with a passion. Her 2 older sisters have left, and with just her annoying younger sister still left at home, Maggie wants more than anything to be able to leave. A handsome stranger shows up in town one day and while her younger sister Eve is busy brewing a traveling spell and a love potion, he walks into their mother's shop and says he is there for Maggie.

Chapter one begins 8 years later in September. Maggie is now living in Woodhaven Compound, the home of the failing cult/commune she is a member of. The handsome stranger, Michael, is the leader and her boyfriend. They don't believe in the use of technology and have been waiting for the apocalypse that Michael has been prophesying to come about. Everything seems to be going fairly well for Maggie except that one of the newest recruits, Leah, is spending a lot of time with Michael. Meaning Maggie isn't. This becomes a moot point, when Maggie's older sister Merry tracks her down and calls to say their mother is very ill and Maggie is needed at home. Maggie doesn't want to go back, but when she catches Michael and Leah in a compromising position, she decides that it might be best to leave Woodhaven. This begins both the physical and mental journey home.

This was an interesting story. Each chapter was titled with the name of a song from the 70's music heyday that fits the theme of the chapter. There were a lot of childhood flashbacks used to remind Maggie about her past. In each one, Maggie learns more about herself and her family. Looking back on childhood memories, from an adult perspective, really gives Maggie plenty of personal growth opportunities. This is very much like a magical coming of age story. I enjoyed the story, though it could have used a bit more editing for some typos and grammatical issues. They weren't enough to completely detract from the story, more an annoyance. I am interested to see where the author will go with the next story. I gave this 3 stars on Goodreads.