MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Embers

Embers - Laura Bickle This is the first book in the Anya Kalinczyk Series and before this book tour this book wasn't really on my radar. I may have seen it in passing, but it never really registered for me. Well it's registered now, that's for sure.

The book opens with Anya Kalinczyk showing up at a haunted house, where she is helping a group called Detriot Area Ghost Researchers with ghost busting. Normally Anya is a Lieutenant and Arson Investigator for the Detroit Fire Department. But Anya is also as a Lantern, a very rare type of medium. She not only can see and speak with ghosts, she can also consume them. It is because of her ability to get rid of any ghost and most demons that Anya works with DAGR.

Anya also has a fire elemental familiar, a salamander known as Sparky, that she has had since she was a child. Most people can't see him or even sense him, and typically he sleeps in a copper torque that Anya wears around her neck. Sparky can interact with ghosts and animals, especially playful cats. Sparky loves to play with electronics, and drawing power off them and shorting them out. Being an elemental, Sparky isn't really housetrained and he can be really rough on tvs, cell phones and electrical sockets. He is totally cute and such a great part of the story.

I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't like anything I have read in a while. I will admit that I wasn't sold on the idea of a story set in Detroit. I mean, Detriot? Being a southerner, it didn't seem that interesting. But Ms. Bickle did a great job of really showing us the city. Architecture and Art. History and Tradition. It came alive and made me realize I didn't really know much about it at all. The city was almost a secondary character in the book, especially when Anya gave her impassioned speech on why it should be spared. With the great world building and fantastic characters, I am giving this book 4 stars on Goodreads.