MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Dark Flight

Dark Flight - Cassi Carver This is the third book in the Shadow Slayers series by Cassi Carver. I just can't get over how great this world and the characters are. Just about the time I think I have a handle on how things are going to go, the author flips or twists things around. It certainly is keeping me on my toes and very interested.

This story opens a few months after the close of book 2, Shadow Rising. Kara is training hard with Gavin, although with a score of only 17 to Gavin's 316 it feels like she is never going to get the hang of things. Kara has finally accepted that she is a part of Mercury Clan, but she continues to live in and work in San Diego. Much to Gavin's chagrin.

Gavin is working to get Julian's assistance in helping to take out his father, Brakken. Gavin truly believes that Kara won't be safe until Brakken has been sent to the Abyss. But Julian is still having trouble using his powers. So Gavin is trying to get another black wing, Mazeki, to help Julian, but he also must convince Julian to allow the training. Mazeki was the blackwing that assisted Kara's father before she was even born and they hope will come to her aid once again.

Unbeknownst to Gavin and Julian, who are busy plotting to keep Kara safe and out of the Shadowlands, Aiden visits Kara with an invitation from Mazeki. Aiden tells Kara that Mazeki has promised to help train Julian, but only if he can have a meeting with Kara. Gavin refused and never told Kara. So of course, Kara has Aiden take her to meet with Mazeki. And meet with him she does. Alone. No Adian, no Gavin and no Julian. Not surprising Kara finds out some disturbing news and is given a task to complete in order to aid Julian.

Boy oh boy, the twisty and turny mind of Ms. Carver is amazing. Just when I thought I knew where we were headed, the unexpected would surprise me. I don't think this will be the last book in the series. (I really, really, hope it's not!) We are left with yet another surprise at the very end, giving us a nice set up for the next book. I have to go 4 stars on Goodreads and hope that book 4 comes soon.