MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Blood Witch

Blood Witch - Ellie Potts This is the first book in the Opposite Sides series by Ellie Potts. I received the book from the author in return of an honest review. This was my first book by Ms. Potts. I hate to admit this, but I have had the book since April and just recently found time to read it. *hangs head in shame*. I honestly don't remember how I connected with the author, but she was kind enough to send me an eARC of the book. This was the cover on it when I received it. It has since had a cover change, but I like this one better. It makes more of a statement.

The story starts with us meeting Leslie, Collin and Patrick while they are on the job. Collin and Patrick are leaning against an SUV waiting on Leslie to come out of the house they are at. The three of them are Supervisors and Partners for the local station for the Opposites. They are also roommates. Leslie is a late blooming blood witch, who when she first came into her power ended up with a bad group of Opposites who took advantage of her naivety to her new world. Collin is a rare hybrid, fathered by a vampire and born to a were-wolf mother. He has the best of both worlds and is accepted by neither. Patrick is all were-bear, and his brother is the local Bear King. But Patrick is also an in-the-closet gay man, so he too feels out of place. Only with each other, have these 3 misfits and outcasts felt truly welcome.

Things become complicated when they are called to examine a crime scene. The individuals in the home were literally ripped apart, leaving a huge bloody mess. At first they thought it was a Rogue vampire, but there is something tainted in the blood and no vampire would leave that much blood behind. The three of them will have to work together to figure out who is killing and how, before a war breaks out between the local Opposites.

I can't say enough good things about this story. The information was doled out enough to keep you informed, but not so much that you felt overwhelmed. The characters were unique and believable. I would say that this book is more Urban Fantasy than Paranormal Romance, but a case could also be made for Paranormal Mystery Thriller. The story was original and well plotted out. The biggest complaint I had with this story was the ending. It felt very abrupt. I wasn't ready for it, and as a matter of fact thought my e-reader was having technical issues when it wouldn't go to the next page. Turned out I was on the final page. I am giving this book 4 stars on Goodreads for an original and well written story that kept me entranced to the very end.