MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

An Affair to Dismember

An Affair to Dismember - Elise Sax This is the first book in the Matchmaker Series by Elise Sax. I was intrigued when I saw the first book, enough so that I was thrilled to be part of the Bewitching Book Tour for Matchpoint, the second book in the series. This gave me the push to move An Affair to Dismember to the top of my TBR pile.

The story opens with Gladys "Gladie" Burger going through her grandmother's attic office, researching and updating Zelda's Matchmaking Services records. Zelda, Gladie's eccentric grandmother, had called Gladie home to the small mountain town of Cannes, California three months prior to join the matchmaking business. Zelda assures Gladie that she has the gift to be a matchmaker. Since Gladie has spent the last 10 years going from job to job across the country every few months, it didn't take much for her to decide to move back home. As of the beginning of the book, Gladie has been in training for about 3 months, has yet to make 1 match and has gotten a little to comfortable in her role as her grandmother's trainee.

All that is about to change however. Starting with her climbing a telephone pole to rescue an owl, getting stuck and showing off her pink Victoria's secret boy shorts underpants to what feels like the entire police force and fire department of Cannes when they come to rescue her. It is here that she meets the Chief of Police and hottie, Spencer. Later that day Gladie finds out that the house next to her grandmother's has been sold to a wealthy, single mysterious man named Holden. Add to that, some how Gladie has gotten sucked into "looking into" the death of the across the street neighbor Randy Terns.

This book was a hilarious mix of misunderstandings, miscommunication, misdirection and mistaken identity. It felt like a cross between a Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum and Toni McGee Causey's Bobby Faye - basically laugh out loud action from start to finish. If you don't find yourself laughing during this book, you might want to get you sense of humor checked. I had to give this book 5 stars on Goodreads.