MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

The Night Beat

The Night Beat - Gini Koch This is the first book in the Necropolis Enforcement Files series by Gini Koch. I will admit that I only recently discovered the wonderous Gini Koch. While doing the last Goodreads Best Of voting during the final round, I found that I recognized and had read every single book except for one - Alien Proliferation by Gini Koch. I found myself simply stunned that I had some how managed to miss what was apparently a great author in on of my favorite genres. This had to be corrected post haste. I got and devoured the Katherine Katt (aka Alien) series. I couldn't believe how great they were and why it had taken me so long to find it. Of course, when I find an author I like, I will read most anything they write. Thus, I had to take a look at The Night Beat.

If you have read any of the Kitty Katt series, you may wonder if the main female character, Victoria Wolfe is just a paranormal version of Kitty. You would be wrong. She they are both wise cracking, strong female role models, but where Kitty bumbles around and figures things out (mostly by accident) while rocking out to her favorite tunes - Victoria works hard at solving crime and is very competent at it.

Victoria's world could be our own. Necropolis and the those who inhabit this hidden world are careful to keep most normal people oblivious to their dimension and the beings who overlap. Victoria is a werewolf, but works for the Prosaic City Police Department and teamed with a normal detective who has no idea who and what she is.

I really liked this book. My only complaint was that it didn't seem long enough. We got introduced to all these really great characters, and the action was full on, but we only see things from Victoria's view point. So it felt like we were missing large parts of the action. My hope is that the rest of the series takes us through the different characters we have met. I really can't wait to read their stories. I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads because it was amazing and I hope that Ms. Koch hurries up with the next story in the series.