MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Arsenic and Old Paint

Arsenic and Old Paint - Hailey Lind This is the forth book in the Art Lover's Mystery series by Hailey Lind. In this installment, we meet Annie Kincaid as she is working at an exclusive all men's club on Nob Hill called the Fleming-Union. The club so exclusive, no women are allowed in except by special invitation, and even then they must use the rear service entrance. Even the membership list is a very closely guarded secret. But Annie was specially requested to do a repair job on some old wallpaper in the attic while most of the club members of off on a special retreat. Unfortunately Annie stumbles across a dead body, made up to look like a painting, called the Death of Marat. Strangely enough this same day, Annie's new business venture with former art thief Michael X. Johnson, is asked to look into 2 stolen pieces of art. The first by a New Zealand investigator about a painting that was reported stolen several years ago, and whose forgery has recently turned up on a local auction house. And the second, a bronze sculptor, by her landlord and security expert Frank DeBenton.

Annie begins the investigation into these art thefts and is bumbling along until her honorary Uncle Anton is found nearly dead from Arsenic gas poisoning. This sets Annie off and as she fights to uncover the mystery, things heat up. Annie is attacked once again in this book, and it looks like we just might get the love triangle between her, Michael and Frank resolved. The mystery remained tight and kept me guessing right up to the very end. I never figured out the bad guy until the very end.

This book was very good. I like the growth I see in Annie and how she is forging (no pun intended) her own path, trying to use her art forging connections and knowledge for the right side of the law. Annie's grandfather is very much still a large part of this book, as each chapter begins with a post from his new blog "Craquelure". I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads, because the ending simply rocked and I am salivating waiting for the next book.