MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Front Page Fatality (A Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery)

Front Page Fatality - LynDee Walker This is the first book in the Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery Series. In this story we are introduced to Nichelle, or Nicey (nee-see) as her friends call her. Nichelle is the reporter who covers the crime and courthouse beats for the Richmond Telegraph. She has a good rapport with the Richmond police officer spokesman Aaron, wants earn a Pulizer like her mentor/boss Bob and has a love of designer shoes. (Thank goodness E-bay put the price of gently used Pradas, Monolos & Louboutins within her budget.)

Nichelle has just spent an entire week at the courthouse covering a capital murder trial case dubbed the Barbie and Ken case due to the double homicide of a good looking flaxen haired couple. She is planning a big Friday night out with her best friend Jenna, artist, bookstore buyer & mother of a newly weaned child and ready to get her drink on after a long dry spell. On her way into work that morning, she hears about a dead drug dealer, the second in just a few weeks. With all the drugs and cash being left at the crime scene, Nichelle wonders if it might be the work of a vigilante, but after speaking with Aaron agrees to hold that information back for an all access pass to be used at another date on the story of her choice.

That Friday night, everything seems to be going great. Jenna and Nichelle are enjoying margaritas, mexican food and dishing on Nichelle's lack of a love life when she checks her phone and sees a missed call from Aaron. There was a boating accident involving several baseball players and the Richmond PD boat. The strange thing is, the boat should not have been out, yet the officers who were on it were by the book types. Next, it is discovered that all the drugs and cash from the 2 drug dealers has gone missing and was assumed to be on the boat. When a prosecuting attorney, the last to sign to see the evidence turns up dead, Nichelle has her hands full figuring out just what is going on, who exactly is involved and how high up the ladder it goes. To add to confusion, Bob has a heart attack, Aaron suddenly takes a highly suspicious vacation, an informant in the police department goes missing and a member of the mob seems to want something from her.

Great book! I was quickly sucked into Nichelle's world and kept guessing right along with her. The action was fast paced, exciting and believable. By the time I got to the end I was so worried about what was going to happen. I knew intellectually that obviously everything would work out in the end for Nichelle, after all this is the first in a series. But in the thick of things, I forgot all that and was freaking out about how she was going to get out of danger and wondering who she could trust. Excellent Job Ms. Walker! I hope the second book is on its way soon. That little romantic cliffhanger you left us with needs to be answered.