MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Quote-Tastic: Riding the Baloney Pony

This meme is about sharing your favorite quotes and the books they come from!

Hosted by Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup.

Everyone is welcome to join in: Readers, Bloggers & Authors.

Just grab the button and link back to Herding Cats and Burning Soup.

Marine for Hire by Tawna Fenske

Sam set the baby carriers at the edge of the living room, out of Limpdick’s line of sight. He checked to be sure the boys were still sleeping, then positioned himself in the corner of the room. He stood at ease, thumbs interlaced behind his back.

“You gave up your rights to me and to this family when you walked out on us,” Sheri said. “When you betrayed me.”

Sam tried not to wince as he thought about betrayal. Was he really much better than Jonathan?

“You slept with a stripper, for chrissakes,” Sheri snapped. “In our goddamn marriage bed while I was taking the boys to the doctor for a checkup.”

Okay, maybe he was a little better than Jonathan.

“Surely you’re aware that wasn’t all my fault,” Jonathan replied. “What was I supposed to do? We hadn’t been intimate for weeks, and a man has certain needs.”

“You’re insane!” Sheri yelled. “I gave birth to twins—your children, might I remind you. You’ll have to forgive me if I didn’t hop straight off the delivery table to ride the baloney pony.”

When I saw the cover of this book on Netgalley, I was intrigued; once I read the blurb, I was hooked. I had no idea that this book had been released with another cover back in February under the Brazen imprint by Entangled publishing. It wasn't until I was marking it on Goodreads that I even noticed. Honestly, I like this cover so much better. It was what drew me to read the blurb.

Basically, we have Sam-the-Sexy Marine and Sheri-the-Spitfire Single Mom. MacArthur, Sheri's older brother and Sam's best friend, has asked Sam to play Nanny or Manny, as the case may be, to keep an eye on Sheri. Sheri's ex-husband has been giving her some trouble lately and big brother wants someone he can trust looking out for her. Sam has crushed on Sheri since the guys were in college and reluctantly agrees to keep Mac's assignment secret while on leave. But Sheri hates liars: "Lying is the absolute worst thing. Worse than riptides and parking tickets and pubic lice combined."

This book has unexpected funny moments, told from both Sam's and Sheri's perspective. Although some of the best ones were when Sam was dealing with the twin boys, such as likening changing a diaper to cleaning an automatic weapon. I knew the deception was going to be a critical point between the characters. I wasn't wrong, but it was wrapped up in a twist that kept this trope fresh and interesting. Book 2 will be MacArthur's story and I can't wait to see him get his meddling comeuppance. I enjoyed this and gave it 3 stars.

Source: http://judy-ree.blogspot.com/2014/07/quote-tastic-riding-baloney-pony.html