MuseAndRamble

Musings and Ramblings

Of a self professed bookworm and geek girl.

Review: Poison Promise by Jennifer Estep

Poison Promise - Jennifer Estep

Can you believe it? Poison Promise is book 11 in the series.  11!!  And the series is still going strong, not a waiver in sight. It doesn't seem like that long ago I was picking up the first book in the series, Spider's Bite, because I loved the idea of a female assassin. Gin is smart, ruthless, yet able to retain her femininity. She looks at her job in an almost wholly masculine way - someone is going to kill them for money, it might as well be her. Yet, she's not a sociopath, she retains her empathy.  She is a most perfect, imperfect roll model for women in the urban fantasy genre.

I will admit, I was a bit concerned after The Spider, book 10 and major flashback story, to how Gin got started. Would this book be able to continue the momentum? Really, how much more of the story is there to tell. Gin has killed the bad guys and gals, gotten her man, found her sister. Where else can the story go? Let me just say, a resounding Yes!, there is more story to be told.  We have only scratched the surface of Gin's relationship with her sister Bria. Finally we are getting beyond the honeymoon stage of their relationship as they learn exactly what being on opposite sides of the law truly means to their relationship.  Additionally, it becomes time to take Gin's coming out as the Spider to the next level.  Her identity has become an open secret, but she hadn't publicly claimed the name yet. All this, plus the action and bad guys seem to amp up further in this new book. For fans of the series, this book doesn't disappoint. I gave it 4 stars.

Source: http://judy-ree.blogspot.com/2014/07/review-poison-promise-by-jennifer-estep.html